•Chapter 46• Who died?

He slowly shifted on the mattress. A sharp pain shot through his body as he started to regain his consciousness. "Holy shi- Nurse!" He could hear the faint voice of his brother which seemed miles away. He felt a soft warm hand on his head and running through his hair softly. "Hi," Liz's sweet voice spoke up. Once he lifted his heavy eyelids, a small smile appeared on his lips. He was glad to see her. Sweet Elizabeth Martin. Her thumb found his cheek and slowly caressed his skin. "Hi," she repeated. "Hey -" his sentence was cut short by the sharp pain shooting up and down his body again. "Stay still." She whispers to him, "Stay very still." He looked around as his vision became more clear. He was lying in a hospital bed. His memory was a blur. What happened? A female doctor entered with the nurse, he flirted with, trailing not too far behind. The woman lifted the sheets carefully and moved his bandages. "What the -" He cut himself off as the nurse came to his side. Her eyes were slightly red. Had she been crying? Over him? "How are you feeling?" The doctor asks. Henry turns to look at her. "Pain. It hurts a lot." He replies honestly. The nurse beside him stroked his hair gently. The doctor smiled at him. "You're healing. You're lucky your brother found you. It's nice to see siblings get along for once. You truly care about each other." She smiles, "I'll be back in an hour to change your bandages." She added. She ordered the nurse to give him something for the pain before she left. Andrew leans over to meet his brother again. "Hey," He said softly. "Hey, dude." Henry smiles. Andrew wrapped his arms around his brother very carefully. He wanted to pull him in and hug him with all the strength he had. It hurt having to hold back. He never imagined being this scared for his brother's life. Ever.

Henry looked over at Liz who stood behind his brother when they pulled away. She also leans down to embrace him. "I didn't scare you too badly, did I?" He asks her. She shakes her head. "Good," he says. He looks at them with a kind smile. "Did you see anything before you... you know." Andrew asks his brother. Henry shakes his head as he groans slightly under his breath. "Not right now. It's all a bit of a blur." He answers. "It'll come back in a few days. You need to rest." The nurse said quietly. Andrew caught his brother looking up at her. That little glimpse in his eyes. Andrew briefly looks at Liz who just smiles at him. "We'll give you a moment," Andrew tells his brother giving him a small smirk and a wink. His cheeks flushed red as he looked back at the nurse who stood by his side. "So, uh, this isn't exactly the coffee we had planned." He said awkwardly. She smiles at him with watery eyes. She quickly wiped them away. "I'm sorry. I don't know why I'm crying." She apologizes. He takes one of her hands in his and smiles at her. "I'm not gonna lie, I kinda like you taking care of me." He smiles at her. She chuckles and pulls out a chair to sit beside him. "Just for taking care of you?" She asks quietly. She looks up at him through her lashes. He was still holding her hand. And it made him warm inside. "Not just that." He answers with a grin.

She didn't mean to slam the door that harsh. Her thoughts were somewhere else. With her phone still gripped tightly in her hand she made her way through the hallway. Three heads peeked up from the couch as she stepped into the living room. "What's the matter with you?" Jerry asks her. Jayden jumped up from the couch and hurried toward her. Her face was pale and her eyes were red and puffy. "You look like you've seen a ghost. Damn, who died?" Jack said jokingly. Jayden somehow sensed that something was off. It was an unusual feeling in his gut. It made both his heart and stomach twist only by looking at her. "What happened?" He asks her. "Bill came into the hospital. He took my dad and stabbed Henry. We found him on the floor. He nearly died." She started. The triplets all had the same worried expression planted on their faces. "That's terrible," Jerry spoke up. Megan nodded while tears started to well up in her eyes again. "There's something else." She said, "I got a call in the hospital while we were waiting for Henry to wake up... Someone- My grandma... she- I just -" She started sobbing before finishing her sentence. Jayden pulled her closer and into his chest. She sobbed into his sweater. "They found her dead in the living room." She sobbed loudly. He rubbed her back gently. "He murdered her." She sobbed. Jayden held her tightly in his chest. "You're okay." He assures her. She was far from okay. She was beside herself, not sure what to do or what to think. "I want to check on my mom." She tells him as she wipes away her tears. Jayden cups her face in his hands. "No, no, this is Bill. You can't go." He shakes his head at her.

"I don't want her to die," Megan tells him. "I don't want you to die. You're not going anywhere." Jayden tells her softly. "Jade's got things covered. Don't worry." Jerry spoke up behind them. Jack slowly approaches the girl and rests his hands on her shoulders. She turned to him and hid her face in his chest. "Shh, hey, we're not gonna leave you alone. You're okay." He whispers to her. "Call her," Jerry tells his oldest brother. Jayden glares at him. "Call her. Ask her if she's found him yet." Jerry ordered. They both briefly looked at Megan whose eyes were still pouring with tears. "It's the least you can do for her. Call Jade. Now." Jerry gritted between his teeth. Jayden sighed as he looked at the girl he was in love with. "I'll consider it." He responded and rubbed Megan's back gently again.

"Where are you?" Louis questioned on the other side of the line. Jade glanced up at Casper. The light was shining through the kitchen window and brushed over his face gently. His eyes just stood out again for some reason. "We're staying at a hotel. Casper checked it out. We didn't want to stay in the car all night." She answered. Her gaze remained on the young man in the kitchen. "Leo called me. He said you're postponing the search. What's that all about?" He questioned in a stern voice. "We found a lead. We wanted to check it out before sending it to anyone else. We didn't want to waste their time." Jade replied. Casper shifted in the kitchen, pouring some coffee into the mugs he pulled from the cabinets moments before. She felt a smile creep up on her lips as she watched him. "Hello? Little one? Are you still there?" Louis snapped her from her thoughts. "Oh, yeah, sorry," she apologized, "What were you saying, again?" She scratched the side of her temple awkwardly even though he couldn't see it. "I just said I'd expected you to call me first. Catch me up on everything. Maybe talk before making a decision like that." Louis said. Jade simply shrugged while holding the phone close to her ear. "I know. I'm sorry. I- I was tired." She spoke quietly. It wasn't a complete lie, but Louis would fall for it. Louis sighed slightly on the other side. "Are you okay?" he asks her softly. "I'm fine. Casper's taking good care of me. Nothing to worry about." She assures her uncle. She could hear him discuss something with another person, probably Ian before he returned to her. "We need to check something out, in Chesterfield, so we're actually glad you postponed. Are you sure you're safe there? I don't want to leave you all by yourself but-" He started. Jade frowns a little.

"What's in Chesterfield?" She questions. "We too need to check something, Little one. Nothing to worry about. We'll be back in a day, maybe two." Louis answered. "Oh, well, I guess I'll see you afterward then. Keep in contact, will you?" She asks him. "Says the girl who disappeared out of nowhere without notifying me first." He chuckles at her. Jade just smiles. "I said I was sorry." She tells him again. "I know, Little one. I love you." Louis replied. "I love you too." She hangs up and puts down her phone. She glanced up to see Casper still by the stove. She pushes the covers aside and walks over to him. In the night, Casper had woken them up to get changed before they drifted off completely. Well, he wanted to change and get his duvet from upstairs. She smiles as she makes her way up to him. "What are you doing?" she asks him. He looks up at her. "I'm making you breakfast. Come on. I told you to stay on the couch." He grabbed her arms gently and pushed her back to her spot on the couch with a chuckle. She rolled her eyes playfully. "I wanna help." she smiles.

She scooted past him and walked over to the pan where he was making the eggs for them. He comes up to stand behind her. "I didn't know what kind you liked most." He said awkwardly. "So you made three different kinds of eggs?" She glanced over her shoulder to look at him with a smirk. "I tried." He chuckles. He gulped loudly once he realized how close he was to her but he didn't move away. His gaze was glued onto her. She looked down at the frying pan with a smile. He cleared his throat and reached out behind him to grab their mugs. He set hers down right beside her. "Thank you." She smiles. "I don't think I've ever seen you like this." He mumbles. It took him a second to realize he said it out loud. "Like what?" She questions. He just looks at her. He reached out his hand to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear that had fallen out from her bun. "Never mind." he sighs lovingly. He couldn't hide it. She turns to look at him and smiles again. God, that pretty smile. He could feel his heart beating loudly in his chest when she locked eyes with him. She looked back at their breakfast and filled their plates. Casper wanted to pull her closer and rest his head on her shoulder. Wrap his arms around her waist tightly while she smiled at him.