Safety Net

"Alexa play Safety Net by Ariana Grande"

"This was a good idea." I said, leaning back. My head resting on the ledge of the tub.

Charles was on the other end of the tub, holding the bottle of Riesling. He brought the bottle up to his lips, taking a sip before passing me the bottle.

The candlelight danced across his face, the gold flecks in his green eyes were dancing with the flames.

My mind started to wander. How he was a 3x world champion F1 driver and I was just a nurse. And he was currently in my bathtub.  I tried not to think too much about all of the problems or things that could go wrong with our relationship.... But sometimes I couldn't help it.

"Okay. What is on your mind? You have that look." He asked me, pulling me out of my train of thought.

My smile faded... unsure of what to say, I simply said.

"I'm fine. It's nothing... really..." I drifted back off into my thoughts.

I brought the bottle back up to my lips, taking a huge sip.

He just looked at me. "Please. Tell me what's on your mind. We can't work on it if you don't tell me..." reminding me of the promise that I had made to work on my communication skills.

Sighing, I took another long drink from the bottle before reaching across the tub to hand it back to him.

He was smiling at me mischievously with that look on his face. 

"What is that look for?" I asked.

His smile grew, only instead of replying, he tilted his head to the side and grabbed my wrist that was holding the bottle and started pulling me to him.

I slid across the tub, water sloshing out over the sides of it. I started giggling as I got closer to him. He grabbed my hips and picked me up so I could straddle him, his hands rubbing lazy circles on my hips. The bottle of wine still in my hand, I looped my hands around his neck.

"Please... tell me what you're thinking about Blake." He asked softly.

I started chewing on the inside of my cheek. Not even sure how to start this conversation.

"It's just... I don't know. It's just that you are a 3x world champion F1 driver. And I'm a nurse. Theoretically speaking, we don't fit. I just can't stop thinking about this, us, not working out... and it scares me. I don't even know what you see in me." I stated matter of factly.

He was quiet for a moment before he started. "I see someone that my soul knows. Neither one of us can explain why things have progressed the way they have between us. But I wouldn't change any of it." He rubbed his hand up and down my bare arm.

"Besides. I didn't fall in love with you for what job you have. Even though I am incredibly proud that my girlfriend literally keeps people alive every day as her job."

I gasped. My eyes locking onto his. Not sure if what I just heard was real or not. He continued.

"I fell in love with you for this." He placed one of his palms over my heart.

I was silent for a moment.

"Don't say that. You can't say that..." I mumbled so softly that I wasn't even sure if he heard me. "You don't mean that."

He slid one of his hands up to rest on the column of my neck.

"Of course I mean it. If I didn't I wouldn't have said it."

I was quiet. Still processing that Charles Marc Herve Perceval Leclerc just told me he loved me in my apartment bathtub in Houston, Texas.

"Are you sure?" I breathed.

Smiling he replied, "I'm positive."

I looked at him in disbelief. "No take backs?"

He started chuckling. "No take backs. Pinky promise." He held up his pinky.

I paused for a moment before linking my pinky with his.

With the hand that was on my neck, he slowly puled my face forward to his, placing small kisses in the corners of my mouth.

"I." Kiss.

"Love." Kiss.

"You." Kiss.

"Blake." Kiss.

"Asher." Kiss.

"Rivers." Kiss.

I just stared at him. Warmth started in my chest and started radiating from me.

The corners of my mouth tipped up.

"I love you too. I have for a long time now."

I leaned forward and kissed him.

______________________________

This one was on the shorter side, but it was one of my most favorite chapters to write.

I can't wait to see how Blake's first time on the grid will go, while trying to keep their relationship a secret :)

<3 Lottie