xii. deal?

"Hey- sorry, I saw you- thought I would catch up." He panted and Wren chuckled as she patted him on the back.

"Easy tiger, you okay?" She asked and Miguel straightened.

"Yeah, these lungs are made of steel." He told her as if it was obvious.

"Whatever you say." Wren shook her head slightly and the two continued to walk. Leaving Rue and Will's house behind them.

"So, Eli, Demetri, and I are going to a Cobra Kai class later. I was wondering if you wanted to join us." Miguel said as they reached the main road.

"Cobra Kai?" She enquired, looking over at him.

"Karate lessons, it's a dojo. My neighbor Mr. Lawrence- Sensei Lawrence started it up and he's really good. I thought after the whole-" Miguel paused and gestured to her black eye, "you might want to join." Miguel beamed, not letting his eyes linger too much on her bruised eye and cut lip.

Wren thought about it, maybe this is a good thing. It would give her more time out of her room above The Bookshelf and she could still visit Will afterwards. And Wren honestly liked the idea of being able to defend herself after what had happened last night.

There may not be guys like Robby around forever.

Robby had told her he was in and out of school at the minute and she now didn't have a phone so he had just told her he would 'see her around', Wren had fallen asleep as soon as he left but at least he knew where she lived so if he really did feel like seeing her again.

He knew where to find her.

"Yeah- sure. Why not?" Wren shrugged and Miguel broke into an even wider smile, if that was physically possible

"Awesome, I'll text you the address." He said and Wren gave him a weak smile.

"Yeah- could you maybe write it down instead? I kind of don't have a working phone anymore. It broke last night." She told him and they stopped walking and Miguel began to write down the dojo's address on a scrap piece of paper.

"So who's phone did you use last night then?" He asked randomly, closing the lid of the pen and handing her the slip of paper.

"Oh- just a stranger. Can't remember his name." She lied, Wren wasn't sure why she had but the words had slipped out of her mouth so quickly and easily Miguel didn't mention it.

"But that's gotta mean you know Eli's number off by heart." He elbowed her side which made contact with her bruised ribs, Wren stifled a groan and Miguel stopped walking.

"What's wrong?" He asked, his expression slack. Wren lifted the side of her shirt every so slightly, enough to expose the tender purple skin beneath. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry." Miguel offered and Wren lowered her shirt.

"It's okay, don't worry. It hardly hurts anymore anyway." Miguel said nothing, "Miguel could you, maybe not tell Eli and Demetri about it?" She asked quietly and Miguel swallowed hard.

"Why not?"

"I just don't want either of them to worry. I promise I'm fine. I just- I don't like it when people fuss is all. I'm not saying that's what you're doing at all but you know what I mean?" She rambled and Miguel nodded.

"I won't as long as you promise to tell us next time. Or call one of us or come over to one of our houses. Just so we can make sure you're okay. Deal?" He extended his hand and Wren shook it.

"Deal."

They continued to walk and Miguel broke into another smile.

"What are you grinning about, Diaz?" She asked, looking over her shoulder up at him.

"So... You know Eli's number off by heart, huh?" He teased.

"Yeah- and what of it? Can't I know my best friend's phone number?" She asked him and Miguel shrugged with a knowing expression.

"Oh yeah- sure you can but I don't know- someone might get the wrong idea." He laughed and Wren went to elbow him in the ribs but he had already taken a left down another street and was walking away.

"See you later!" He yelled and Wren just gave him her middle finger as he walked away.