xlvii. sunflowers.

Will knocked on her door, Wren pulled on her jeans, "Just a second." She called out and Will banged his head against the door because Will was many things but patient wasn't one of them.

"How long does it take to get changed?" He groaned and moved to bang his head again, only this time, when he did the door cracked open.
Will swore brightly and fumbled to pull it shut again but Wren was covered thankfully. Wren just laughed at him, she was standing there in her jeans and sports bra, which covered her efficiently, about to pull a tee shirt over her head.

But Will froze.

Her exposed ribs were littered with bruises, not countless but dark and purple. Painful and tender.

Wren had told both Will and Robby about Tory's spar in the ally, she had to explain the small bruise on her cheek but she also didn't feel like hiding the fact it hurt to move and so told them about her ribs.

But being told about it and seeing it were two very different things.

Will moved closer just as Wren pulled on her shirt, without really talking he wrapped his arms around her in a protective manner.
Robby was at his mom's apartment clearing it up before she left rehab in a few weeks time. Wren had offered to go with him but he politely declined, telling her to rest and kissing her forehead before he left.

Will took a long breath in through his nose, savouring the sweet smell of her hair and Wren didn't object. Will would always make her feel safe, that would never change.

"Are you okay?" He whispered, Wren pulled back to look up at him, he easily had a head on her.

"Concern suits you Billy but I promise I'm fine, it's Tory I'm worried about..." Wren said sweetly, pulling away to tie her hair up in the mirror.

"Wren, I'm not sure if you're aware but your ribs are more purple than they are normal. How the fuck is that okay?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest, watching her.

Wren moved over to grab her jacket, "She needed it... And I wanted to give it to her, she deserves so much better than what she's got." Wren uttered, letting her hands fall to her sides when she was finally ready.

Will headed for the door and Wren followed behind him as they trailed down the stairs onto the shop floor. "I'm not sure about that, she's got you." Will offered innocently and Wren just smiled as they passed Mr James on the front desk.

Wren grabbed some flowers she had placed there earlier that morning.

"You kids be careful." He told them and they both chorused a 'We will" as they headed out the door. "Wren! William!" Mr James called out and they both froze in their path, Will holding the door as they looked back at him.

"Tell her I say 'Hi'."

"Don't worry, Mr James..." Will told him, "We will."

And with that they left the shop.

It wasn't the first time Will had visited his sister's grave since he got out but it was his first time with Wren.

Will had pulled up the weeds and placed new flowers and as the pair looked down, Wren set down the few flowers she had brought with her and returned to Will's side.