xxv. don't.

Wren gasped slightly as Hawk's hands groped her waist, he was leaning against a log and she had a knee either side of his hips in the sand. She gently caressed his neck, cupping his jaw and leaning back in to kiss him again. She wasn't entirly sure how long they had been sitting there like this and neither was he. But still, neither of the pair particularly cared.

Hawk pulled away first, his breathes were rapid but still he tenderly lifted a hand and slipped a strand of hair behind her ear which had gotten in the way.

"What are you doing?" She asked, leaning away slightly, equally as breathless.

"Just trying to help." He said to her and she gave him a warm smile. The kind that sent Hawk's heart thundering in his chest and he leaned back in.

Hawk let his hand cup the back of her head, threading his fingers in her soft hair as his others run gently up and down her leg. Wren gave a soft sigh and Hawk smiled into the kiss.

"You like that?" He teased her, showing his teeth in his smile.

"Not here and not now, hot shot." She told him, "Don't push your luck."

"But it's so hard... You're beautiful." He told her and Wren blinked, she hadn't anticipated that and licked her puffy lips.

"Don't say stuff like that." She told him quietly and leaned back in but this time it was Hawk who spoke.

"Why not?" He paused, a his expression was washed over with a slight confusion, "It's true. You're beautiful." He said again and Wren looked deep into his eyes. They were the kind that she could tell had seen bad days, but at the exact same moment they were warm and kind and were looking right back at her in a way that made her want to sink into the them and never come back up, not even for air.

"Shut up." She smiled, shaking her head slightly.

"Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful." He whispered and she kissed him to shut him up. Some more time had passed, enough for it to get dark.

"Hey, Wren, come help me out!" Aisha called from afar and the pair reluctantly pulled appart.

"To be continued?" She asked breathlessly and Hawk only nodded before pecking her one last time before she stood up and began to brushed herself off.

"And the love birds finally separate?" Demitri walked over, two drinks in hand and handed on to Hawk who had moved up to sit on the log. "Hey, love birds, Wren and Hawk." He said to himself, seemingly very proud. Wren smiled to herself, "Big bird and Little Bird."

Hawk had been smiling at his friend when he looked up to see Wren was no longer smiling, her lips were slightly agape as she tried to pull together a sentence.

"Don't call me that, Demitri." She said, probably more harshly than she meant too but it took both by surprise. "Please, just... Don't." She paused but didn't wait for either to respond. "I'll see you both in a bit."

Wren turned and tried to spy Aisha in the crowd, it had grown significantly since she had sat down with Hawk by the bonfire. And yet her head was spinning, she couldn't seem to really concentrate so she pulled out a cigarette and lit it.

Only Will could call her that. Will and Mr. James and Rue. Only Rue could call her that. It wasn't fair.

It should have been me.

She thought.

"You're beautiful." She remembered, "Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful."

Wren took a long drag and finally spotted Aisha, she was stood with Miguel who was downing something. Wren cleared her mind and walked over, smoking as she went and Aisha looked relieved to see her.

"Hey, what's going on?" She asked, raising the cigarette to her lips.

"Oh my god, thank you, I didn't think you heard me. Can you watch him for a second?" Aisha asked and Wren agreed, not seeing any harm, though she was about to ask why before Aisha walked off in the crowd to get herself a drink.

"Hey, Miggy, you okay?" She asked jokingly, he was staring dead ahead, seemingly in a world of his own before he looked down at her.

"Oh yeah I'm-"

He was cut off by Yasmine who had stalked over to the pair of friends, a furious expression clear and vivid on her face.

"Hey!" She called, stopping about an arms length infront of Wren, "You think it's funny crashing my party?" She asked, leaning forward slightly, Wren let a small smirk fade onto her face.

"Your party?" She asked, taking another drag, "That's funny, I don't see any of your friends here. Do you?" She asked, letting her mocking smile grow wider, she spied Moon and Hawk walking closer and she felt a small ache knaw at her chest but she ignored it, numbing it with smoke, they were still out of ear shot, on the other side of the bonfire.

"Yeah well, last time I saw you, you were a loner... Don't you remember, two years ago?" She took another step closer, " Yeah that's right, I remember you Wren Evans...You were small and timid, the little loner girl. Her only friend got herself killed." Yasmine spat and knocked Wren with her shoulder as she walked away. Wren looked up and made eye contact with Hawk who was rather close now, not close enough to see the tears in her eyes but close enough to know something was wrong.

Wren let the her cigarette stub fall to the floor and turned on her heels, she trailed after Yasmine and caught up easily. "Yasmine!" She called out, grabbing people's attention but just as Yasmine turned, before she could get out another word. Wren smiled and threw a mean right hook, making square contact with Yasmine's nose.

The girl wailed and fell to the floor, her nose dripped blood and Wren crouched beside her.

"Talk about Rue like that again and I'll start with that pretty blonde hair of yours... you don't want to know how I'll finish."