xii. mirror of the other.

Wren snapped out of her lonely train of thought when she spied a man walking out of the parking lot, right towards the gate which lead to Robby and Shannon.

He was in dark pants and a dark blue shirt, rolled up at the sleeves, it took Wren a moment to recognise the man from afar but she managed it. She strode over, cutting him off right before he made it through the gate.

"What the fuck are you doing here, Daniel?" Wren snapped, her voice low and venomous, "Just let him catch up with his mom, they need this." Daniel didn't look surprised at all at her words, or that she was even there at all. He felt an odd satisfaction that he knew Wren knew where Robby was.

He was certain she had actually been hiding in the same bookshop he fished Sam out of weeks prior but he figured if he were to go looking for him there- he would never have gotten past Wren.

"I know, I know, of course they can catch up..." Daniel told her firmly, holding out his hands defensively as if trying to soothe an angry animal. "His mom told me you were coming today, I told her I would talk to him." Daniel explained and Wren felt her nails dig into the flesh on her palms, Daniel seemed to notice this but did nothing, "I know you don't but just trust me..." he said and Wren did nothing to stop him from walking through the gate.

When she followed him in, Shannon was standing beside Daniel, talking softly then Daniel walked over to Robby, sitting opposite him. Robby made no motion to move so Wren remained by the gate, she crossed her arms anxiously and didn't get any closer.

The pair began to talk quietly, Shannon stood beside Wren was followed her gaze to the two people at the table. "Can I talk to you for a minute, Wren?" Wren looked over and nodded, trying to hide her heartbeat in her throat. She knew Daniel had a strong moral code, she had seen it, so she didn't trust him for one moment. She didn't want to leave them alone but still, she followed Shannon just outside the gate and finally tore her eyes away from Robby.

"I just wanted to thank you for everything." Shannon said, the two women sat on the wall, Wren crossed her ankles and picked at her nails, not looking up. "Robby told me everything you've done for him..."

"It was nothing." Wren lied, trying to comfort Shannon, "He can look after himself, I've just been there to see him do it."
"He told me you might say that." She chuckled lightly, looking over at Wren kindly, "But still, you've done more for him than I have, more than Johnny ever has in Robby's whole life." Wren felt slightly uneasy at that.

"It's okay." Wren managed to get out. "I'm sure he hasn't mentioned how much he's done for me. It's actually been a pretty even deal in the big picture." Wren thought out loud.

"What has he done for you? If you don't mind me asking..." Shannon inquired and Wren folded her hands in her lap, looking out at the sidewalk that stretched in front of them, she smiled to herself- she had paused after Shannon's question but she knew the answer instantly.

"My parent's they err-" She broke herself off, "They just, they were never really all there," Wren said in a small breath, a very very condensed version of the truth, "And Robby came into my life when I really needed them and from there, after we got to know each other, he has somehow magically made up for both of them without even trying."

Shannon soaked in every single word and her chest began to fill with a flooding sensation of pride over her son for everything he had done for this girl. "He makes you feel loved?" Shannon asked and Wren hesitated before agreeing in a slight nod over pursed lips. "You know, I always felt guilty, even when Robby was a little boy..."

"Why's that?"

"Because since he was young, he's had such a big heart, he's always loved people so much. Always saw the good in everyone." Shannon told Wren, who listened eagerly, taking every word.

"How is that a bad thing?" Wren found herself asking.

"Because no one ever loved him the same way, not even me, I see that now. I'll never forgive myself for how often I left him alone and how bad it got... Robby told me you came to get him when you got worried. You saw how bad of a state I left him in." Wren didn't reply, "No one ever matched his love." Shannon paused, "But I think you do." Shannon told her and Wren met her eyes and gave her a soft, sad smile.

Shannon saw the smile. She knew that smile. She used to use it all the time.
It meant: I hope you're right.

But Shannon knew she was right. She knew she was right about Wren because when Robby spoke about her just now, she could tell his heart was so full of her, he could hardly call it his own.

And just now, the pair of them talking about her son, she could see, written on Wren's pupils that her thought's could hardly move without bumping into some piece of her son.

One of Shannon's next questions was going to be why did Wren look after Robby but after finding out that she herself had absent parents like him. Shannon knew that when Wren saw Robby, she saw herself, they were reflections of the other. And therefore, Shannon knew Wren tried to be what she wished she had for Robby. Creating an undeniable bond between the pair, built off of trust, protection and codependency.

They gave each other everything their absent parents should have provided. To feel supported, safe... loved.
"Thank you." Shannon said gently, reaching out and placing her hand on Wren's to show her how deeply, how truly she meant it.

"He needs you, he always will, never forget that." Wren answered simply, placing her other hand on top of Shannon's and the women gave each other a knowing smile.