xx. the waiting room.

Wren clenched her fists tightly in her pockets as she entered the hospital, she kept her eyes wide and vigilant, making sure to stay out of the middle of the hallway and close to the wall, keeping out of everyone's way.

Her mouth felt dry as she made her way to the front desk, there were people scattered everywhere. People waiting in seats waiting to be seen, nurses, doctors and staff dotted around helping people.

It helped, having other people around, it felt like no one was watching her. After all, the last time she was here, Wren had felt entirely alone, there had been no one in the waiting room with her...

Wren couldn't stop shaking. Her hands, her knees, her shoulders. It was unbearable how little control she had over her own body, sitting in the hospital waiting room all alone. She couldn't help but wring her hands over and over in front of her, stained with dried blood, tears choked her as they threatened to spill. Wren clutched her elbows and hunched over in her chair.

A severe burning feeling flooded her chest on the edge of drowning her.

"Miss, may I help you?" A voice called out to her and Wren snapped her eyes to the woman sitting down behind the desk, she was waiting for her with expecting eyes. It took Wren a moment to find her voice, she opened her mouth but no sound emerged, the woman's eyes narrowed. "Miss, are you alright?" She asked kindly, standing from her chair in concern, telling Wren she must have looked as weary as she felt standing there.

"Yeah, no I'm fine." Wren told her, nodding her head in a reassuring manner, "I'm, I'm here to visit Miguel Diaz." Wren elaborated and the woman scanned her over one more time before returning to her seat.

"Yes, he is in..." She paused, typing on her keyboard, Wren threw a look over her shoulder and spotted a nurse wheeling in a man on a stretcher a little further down the corridor. Wren couldn't tear her eyes away. "He is in room 306, honey." The woman told Wren and Wren nodded, "Is there anything else I can do for you?" She asked and Wren shook her head, looking down at her fingers, pressed firmly against the edge of the desk before looking back at the woman.

"No, thank you... Thank you very much." Wren told her with a small smile and turned away, keeping her head down as she followed the signs to room 306.

The corridor outside Miguel's room wasn't empty. There was a line of chairs and in one sat a woman with dark curly hair pulled tightly in a bun behind her head. She was hunched over in her chair, pressing her palms over her mouth. Wren made her way down the hallway and the woman's eyes trailed over to the teenager.

"Wren?" She called out, surprising Wren as she closed the gap between them. The woman stood from her chair and swiftly walked towards her, her arms outstretched. Without a second thought, the woman hugged Wren, wrapping her arms around her shoulders, enclosing her in the embrace.

Wren felt herself go stiff, unsure of what to do, she was positive she had never met this woman in her life and yet the woman knew her face, her name... Knew her well enough to hug her.

And yet, that hug was exactly what Wren needed. Ever since she entered the hospital she had felt like she was being watched by anyone and everyone, she felt like she was walking on egg shells and felt like she could hear nails on a chalkboard.

That hug made her anxiety dissolve. So, slowly, Wren hugged the woman back, placing her arms around the woman's waist and closed her eyes. She was so warm, so soft, so familiar. Only when they pulled away did she realise she was tearing up- they both were.

"Thank you..." The woman muttered, placing both of her hands on Wren's shoulders, "Thank you, you saved my boy's life." She told the girl and it immediately clicked in Wren's mind.

His mom.

This woman was Miguel's mother. Looking closer, she could see it now... The same eyes, the same nose, the same smile... It was all there.

Wren opened her mouth, but just like at the receptionist's desk, no words found their way out. "My name is Carmen, Miguel has been asking for you ever since he woke up but I didn't know where to find you..." The woman explained and Wren only nodded gently. "I'm so glad you're here..."

"Carmen..." Wren managed, feeling her eyes trail down to the floor, Carmen's hands fell from her shoulders but she remained close, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Wren uttered and Carmen hugged her once more and they didn't move for a while but neither minded.

Miguel had been sat upright when Wren entered the white, sterile hospital room. He stared at her for a moment. Then two. And it felt like an eternity was enfolding right before them both before either of them said a word to the other.

"Hey..." He managed, Wren offered him a small, weak smile, remaining frozen in the doorway. Carmen had offered to let them talk alone, figuring they needed some time.

"Hey, Miggy..." Wren found herself saying, unable to see anything past him as tears threatened to blind her so she kept blinking, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." Wren choked and ushered over to the bed, he opened his arms and she collapsed into them gladly.

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry." Wren cried, her shoulders shaking against him. "I'm sorry."

"I'm okay." He lied into her hair, rubbing his hand down her back, "I'm okay. It will be okay." He told her, remembering everything before the fight.

"I'm sorry."

How she had told him to get off and how he had listened. He regretted that but he didn't blame Wren, not really... How could she have known what Robby would do?

"I'm sorry."

Miguel felt sick at the mere thought of Robby Keene, knowing he still walked on two working legs while he rotted in a hospital bed. He pushed away the feeling and hugged Wren tighter....

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay." He told her one more time, sighing a little.

Miguel knew that if it wasn't for Wren... He would have certainly been in a worse state. He definitely would have been. Miguel was so incredibly aware that, without her, he may have died...

"What took you so long? He asked, almost sarcastically, Wren stifled a small laugh, pulling away from his side, still sitting on the side of the bed next to him.

"It's a long story..." She sniffled, wiping under her eyes and her nose with a tissue from a box on his bedside table.

"Fear of hospitals?" He jabbed, a smirk on his face but when Wren didn't return his smile, his faulted.
"Actually, yes..." She answered and stood from the bed, moving to pull over a chair and she sat next to his bedside.

"2 years ago..." She began and Wren told him everything.