xv. unmarked territory part one.

The shop was shut the next day.

Mr James took Wren back to the shop and let her sleep quietly and undisturbed into the long hours of the next day. He had a feeling it was the first time she had slept properly in a while but still, even now, he didn't know how he could help her beyond letting her rest.

He knew that he didn't know everything, the two of them hadn't properly sat down and spoken, broken down and dissected everything that had been going on in her life.

But despite this, Mr James didn't feel the desperate need to understand the whole picture. He knew that if parts had been left out or hidden in the dark from him, then they were not for him to see.

But he did know that he needed to find someone who did know the bits he didn't and understood those pieces. For Wren's sake. Wren needed that more than ever.

So as he gazed up the the sign above his head: COBRA KAI KARATE, Mr James wasn't afraid of their ruthless reputation because he knew Wren was once one of them, unsure if she still was but knew that beyond those glass doors, there must be someone, a friend, who cared about her to the same degree he did.

He needed to find her friends because Wren needed them now more than ever.

He pushed the door open and the little ring of the bell told everyone of his entry. Kids where stood in neat, tight lines across the mat in fighting stances. They had been going over drills relentlessly for the past 30 minutes, most couldn't help but look over when they saw the older man enter.

Not even John Kreese.

"May we help you?" Kreese asked from the front of the lines, looking over to Mr James, who had taken off his hat and held it in front of his stomach politely. "We're in the middle of a session." Kreese told him firmly and Mr James stepped forward, not quite onto the mat since he knew you weren't supposed to with shoes on.

"Yes, sorry for the disruption, my name is Mr James and I was hoping for a moment of your time." Hawk's ears pricked up at that, he had been so focused on the drills at hand that he hadn't even looked over when the door had opened. Hawk fixed his eyes on the man, who was yet to see him.

"And may I inquire as to what this is about?" Kreese asked calmly, his hands folded in front of him, letting them rest gently against his gi. He took slow steady steps around his students to meet the man by the door. Intrigued by the intrusion.

"It's about my god-daughter, Wren Evans."

"Is she okay?" A voice broke from the lines of students and Mr James followed the voice to spy a girl, Wren's age, with blonde hair. She stood down from her fighting stance that most of the student's still held at Kreese's command before Mr James came in, "Has something happened?" Tory asked.

"Sir," Kreese looked away from Tory and back to Mr James, "If you would kindly follow me into my office, we can talk privately there. Nichols, come with us." Kreese said kindly, his brows drawn together, "The rest of you continue practising."

And with that the three of them strode past the lines of students and as Kreese passed the front once more, his eyes met Hawk who kept his expression slack. "You too, Hawk." And with that, he followed them in.

Mr James was two steps behind Kreese, who sat at his desk, folding his hands on the surface, "Please have a seat." Mr James gave him a small smile and turned his head to see the two students walking in behind him, he recognised Hawk instantly.