fifty-six

Elijah rolled over and went to wrap his arm around Penelope, but then his arm fell on the empty, chilled, mattress. Opening his eyes, he looked at where his wife was supposed to be sleeping but she wasn't there. Sitting up, he looked around their room, the bathroom light was off. Rubbing his eyes and down his face, he moved to rub his neck before grabbing his phone to look at the time, but his attention caught the little note beside it.

'Sorry, no daddy time in bed this morning. I'm downstairs if you want good morning kisses <3'

Elijah chuckled as he placed the little note down and grabbed his phone. 6:08 a.m. At least she had left a note this time.

He got out of bed and pulled a t-shirt from the dresser and tugged it on as he made his way out of the bedroom and to the kitchen. He smiled as he leaned against the door frame of the kitchen, watching Penelope. Her hair was tied up into a messy bun on the top of her head, she wore one of his white t-shirts that didn't hang as loosely on her due to her bump, and she wore a pair of heather grey lounge shorts that he could see the ends of. She was already covered in flour and from the aroma of the kitchen, he knew there was at least one pie already baking.

"Eggs, eggs, eggs," She muttered as she looked at laptop screen. "Four eggs per cup of half-n-half..." She walked to the fridge and grabbed three eggs and the half-n-half, then placed them on the counter before going back to the fridge to grab the forth egg.

"Good morning," Elijah greeted. A yelp came as she jumped, dropping the egg on the floor. She looked down at the egg before slowly moving to look up, and she glared at him.

"...Do you purposely wait until I have an egg in my hand to sneak up on me?"

"Yes," She glared at him and pointed to the floor.

"You make the mess, you pick it up! I don't want it messing up my beautiful new tile flooring!" She huffed and grabbed another egg from the fridge. Elijah laughed lightly as he grabbed the paper towels and began to clean up the broken egg off the new tile flooring. Penelope was happy when they returned from their honeymoon and saw that the floor was finally finished. He grabbed the tile cleaner and Penelope's beloved swifter mop and mopped up the space where the egg had dropped. "Thank you," She smiled at him as she began whisking the eggs, half-n-half together.

"You're welcome," He smiled as he stood behind her, resting his hands on her hips. "What are you making?"

"Mini quiches!" She replied with a large smile.

"...To go with dinner?"

"No," She shook her head, laughing. "They're to go with breakfast."

"Oh," He nodded and moved a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "And what's for breakfast?" He whispered lowly in her ear as his hands slipped under the t-shirt. Penelope let go of her whisk and pulled his hands off her.

"No sexy touches for you," Elijah scoffed at her words but she ignored him and went back to whisking the eggs. "As for breakfast, I have pumpkin pie croissants in the oven now, which by the way," She paused, and went to the oven. She smiled as she turned it off then slipped her oven mitts on and opened the oven door before taking out the tray of golden brown croissants. "They look perfect," She gushed happily as she placed them on the range.

"They smell delicious," He told her with a smile as he leaned down to kiss her but she moved and went back to her egg mixture to continue whisking. "I was wanting a kiss."