fifteen

"You have a place in my heart no one else ever could have."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

There was a soft knock on the door and Penelope groaned, she must've dozed off again. Penelope opened her eyes and moved to sit up again. "Come in," She muttered tiredly. The door opened, and her heart stopped. There Elijah stood, staring at her with wide eyes; she noticed the tears beginning to swell. "'Lijah?" She whispered, her voice cracking as she felt tears in her own eyes. The door began to close and before there was a click, Elijah was in front of her, wrapping his arms around her and pressing his lips all over her face. Elijah pulled away enough to hold her face in his hands gently, scared that if he let go of her, she would disappear again. He gave her a small smile as he stared at her.

Penelope had dark circles under her eyes, her hair was a matted mess, and her lips were chapped, having small cracks in them. She had dirt and dried blood all over her face, but to Elijah, she was still beautiful. He ran his finger down her nose before leaning in and kissing her. Then he kissed her again, and again and again. "Elijah, I have vomit mouth-"

"I don't care," He whispered as he pressed his lips against hers again. When he pulled away from her lips, he kissed both of her cheeks, then her nose, then her forehead before he sat down on the bed and held her tightly in his arms, pressing his lips onto the crown of her head. Penelope wrapped her arms around him and closed her eyes tightly, hiding her face in his neck. A quiet sob came from Penelope as she held onto Elijah tighter.

"We'll..uh...we'll give you two some privacy..." Rose spoke up as she and Klaus stood from the chairs. Elijah's eyes landed on Klaus and he glared, anger filling him. Klaus avoided his gaze as he walked out of the room. Rose gave him a small smile before following Klaus, closing the door behind her. The moment the door closed, Elijah closed his eyes and held Penelope tighter as he let the tears fall. He kissed the top of her head, wanting to run his fingers through her hair but it was so matted, he couldn't.

"I'm right here..." He whispered, clenching his eyes tighter. "Shh, my love...I've got you. I have you and I'm never letting you go," He promised her, as he began rubbing her back. "It'll be alright, I'm right here Penelope," It was like his words were the keys to whatever door that Penelope had up because once he said them her cries grew louder. Elijah rocked her back and forth, giving her soothing sounds and rubbing her back.

All that could be heard in the room was Penelope's sobs that continued to increase. She held onto Elijah so tightly she feared if she didn't he wouldn't actually be there. His woodsy scent filled her senses, the feel of his arms around her, the feel of his hands rubbing her back, it all felt like a dream and if she let go or opened her eyes she would be right back in that room alone, chained to a wall with no Elijah insight. But as she cried in his arms, her mind wandered...did he hold and comfort Celeste this way too when she cried? Did he hold her, rub her back, and whisper in her ear as she cried? Penelope clenched her eyes tighter as her sobs grew, she tried to push herself away from him but Elijah held her tighter.

"Penelope, it's me...it's me, my little doe," He whispered in her ear gently. "I'm right here," He kissed the top of her head, trying to hold in his emotions. He needed to be strong, put together for her right now. Penelope shook her head and tried to push him away but he kept holding her tighter.

"You-you held her this way!" Penelope managed to get out between sobs as she tried to push him away. Elijah's heart broke at the sound of her voice and the words she said. He knew now what Penelope meant by Celeste hurting her.

"Penelope, baby..." He whispered, holding her tighter to his chest. "Little doe...I never held her this way..." He assured her, using the pet names that were reserved only for her, the pet names he's never called another woman - not even a previous Penelope. "I never held her like this, I never held her as if I was afraid of letting go," He confessed, sniffling as he let his own tears fall. "I never held her as if my life depended on it."