forty-two

A/N: There is mentions of triggering content in this chapter.

"I want our love story to begin as soon as possible."

-Unknown

Ringing filled the room, pulling Penelope out of her peaceful slumber. She groaned as she reached up and tore her phone from the charger and swiped to answer. "Hello?" She greeted, her voice deep and raspy from grogginess.

"Good morning my bride," Elijah's voice greeted her softly, and Penelope felt her lips spread into a sleepy smile. "How did you sleep?" He asked her, and Penelope could hear the faint traces of sleep in his voice.

"Okay," She answered as she pulled the blankets up to her chin. "The bed is cold without you in it," She admitted. Penelope had slept in a different room, the room across from Rebekah; when asked why by Elijah, Penelope simply told him that it was bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding. He rolled his eyes a little with a small smile, but he gave her a kiss anyway. Of course, Penny allowed him into her room for a little while last night, just so he could have his daddy time with Little Bump, but as soon as she was beginning to feel sleepy she kicked him out and said: "I'll see you tomorrow, husband to be."

"You know I cannot produce body heat," Elijah reminded her teasingly.

"Yes, but you retain my body heat, and that keeps me warm at night."

"Not your little feet," he teased, and Penelope laughed. "Or your fingers."

"Hey, that's because they naturally do not get enough blood flow!" Penelope scoffed as she began to rub her stomach. "Wait, is that why you're always so cold? Not enough blood flow?" It was silent for a moment before Elijah started laughing. "It's an honest question!"

"I'm always cold because technically, my body is a corpse."

"If your body is technically a corpse, then wouldn't it lose all function?" She asked and it was silent. "And if it's supposed to lose all function because you're dead, how do you get an erection? How does that work?"

"...I still have a beating heart that allows blood flow to continue in my body-and why are we discussing this?" he asked after a moment.

"...Because the questions have finally came to my mind?" She answered before laughing.

"On our wedding day?" He asked her, confused, and Penelope began to laugh harder.

"We're getting married," Penelope said once she had calmed down.

"We are," he said.

"In," Penelope paused, pulling her phone from her ear to see the time. It was 9:05 now. "Less than seven hours."

"I know," He replied breathlessly and Penelope smiled softly. She could already see the soft smile on his face.

"You've waited a long time for this day," She whispered.

"Today isn't just about me," He told her. "It's about us."

"I know, but, you've waited so long-"

"Penelope," Elijah cut her off. "Today is about us, you and I. No one else. We have waited for this day," He reminded her and Penelope continued to smile as she curled into the bed. It was silent between them for a few more minutes before it was interrupted by Rebekah opening her door.