fifty-nine

"What are you doing?" Penelope looked up and saw Kol leaning against the kitchen entry way.

"Baking."

"I can see that."

"Then why did you ask?"

"You've been very snarky lately," Penny sighed as she measured out the rum substitute for her cakes. Kol was right, she had been rather snarky as of late; actually, she had been rather irritable and emotional all together. Her and Elijah had gotten into it the previous night when he tried to be affectionate, and she wanted nothing to do with it – which ended up with her being mad and annoyed at him for no reason and he was as sweet as he could've ever been but she even saw his patience thinning. Then there was this morning when he was being the lovely man and husband he was, and she wasn't having any of it. She had already thrown up that morning, her damned morning sickness returned, and her back was hurting and she woke up over all cranky. But, the sweet man Elijah was put on a ridiculous Hallmark Christmas movie on the TV for her and made her breakfast in bed. She apologized to him for being so bitchy and he just kissed her and told her he understood. She didn't think he truly did understand, being a man, but she knew that he understood enough.

"Pregnancy hormones," was all she answered as she poured the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl. "Hey, can you move this over here so I can sit down?" She asked as she moved to sit at the bar; Kol nodded and he moved her mixer to in front of her and plugged it in. She gave him a smile as a silent thanks before she turned it on.

"What are you making?"

"Two types of mini-rum cakes," She answered after she turned off the mixer. "Can you spray the mini Bundt pans with the nonstick spray please? I don't want to stand up, my feet need a break," Kol sighed but did as she asked and she gave him a big smile, to which he ignored.

"Why?"

"Because I can't drink alcohol, and neither can Max. So there's the regular rum cakes, and then the non-alcoholic rum cakes."

"Why can't you drink? Mothers have done it for centuries and infants have turned out fine," Kol told her and she gave him a blank look.

"People also married their first cousins for centuries, sometime even uncles and brothers to keep the blood line 'pure', thus creating all these deformities and disorders. So forgive me if I'm going to listen and trust my modern day doctor."

"The baby is half vampire, with Elijah's blood it'll be fine."

"I only have a short window in which I can get pregnant and give Elijah as many babies as he wants. I am not risking any chance of something going wrong with the baby or with me," She said firmly, her eyes narrowing dangerously, silently telling him to shut up and drop it. "Besides, I don't think Dad and Emily would appreciate if Max drank an alcoholic cake."

"I suppose," He rolled his eyes as Penelope began scooping the cake batter and dropping it into the Bundt pans. When she was finished she went to get up and was the mixing bowl, but Kol beat her too it and started doing it for her. When it was dried off she started measuring out all the ingredients for the normal batch of rum cakes, and when she got to the rum she asked Kol if he could measure out the alcohol for her. Then the process was repeated: as Penelope was mixing the batter, Kol got to work on greasing the pan and then helped her scoop the batter into the pans. Once they were in the oven she went to wash the bowl but, again, Kol beat her to it. A smirk played on Penelope's face as an idea came to her mind.