fifty-seven

"No, no not there!" Penelope exclaimed, resting her hand on her hips as she looked at Kol and Klaus that were both on ladders and were trying to hang garland above the entrance way to the sitting room. "It's not symmetrical!"

"What do you mean? We measured it!" Kol huffed.

"There's more pinecones and holly berries on this side," She said, pointing to Klaus. Both men looked at each other and rolled their eyes. Kol reached down and turned the end of his part of the garland around and Penelope noticed the pine cones and holly berries. "...Fine, hang it," She muttered and they did. She took a few steps back and then gave them a smile and nod of approval. Everything was coming together, finally. "Okay, Klaus can you set up the Christmas tree there in the corner?" She asked, pointing to the empty corner to the right of the front door.

"...But we're having a tree in the living room."

"...So?"

"We already have one."

"...Okay?"

"...Why do we need another one?"

"Because it's for decoration."

"The other one is also for decoration."

"Nope, that's the family tree," Penelope shook her head. "That's the tree we'll use for presents and will have all the nice decorations. This tree here," She said, pointing to the corner where she wanted the smaller, skinnier tree. "Is purely for decore-Hey! Where are you going?" Penelope asked Kol, narrowing her eyes at him.

"Oh, I thought you were through with me."

"Absolutely not," She shook her head and pointed to the other pile of long, frosted garland that had pine cones and holly berries. "That needs to be wrapped around the bannisters."

"...Bloody hell, how much of this stuff do we have?"

"Enough to cover every entrance way and stair bannister."

"...Is this why you had us measure everything?" He asked and she nodded, then her attentioned turned to Klaus.

"It's not going to set itself up," She clapped, pointing at the box of the artifical tree. "Chop chop."

"Well aren't we bossy," Klaus rolled his eyes.

"Hey, I'm pregnant and I can't bend or lift things!" She told him and he rolled his eyes again as he opened the box to the five foot tree. "Besides, I have four vampires to my disposal, why not utilize them! If you fall off a ladder nothing will happen."

"It still bloody hurts," Kol muttered as he began wrapping the garland around the bannister.

"Yes, I'm sure, but you live anyway," She smiled at him then decided to walk into the living room where Elijah was putting the finishing touches on the mantle. She wrapped her arms around him from behind and pressed a kiss to his back. "That looks pretty," She said and he chuckled. She pulled away from him when he held up his arm and she leaned into his side.

"Thank you, I had clear instructions," He teased and she pinched his side.

"The whole living room is looking really nice," She smiled, looking around them.

"Well, you picked out very festive decorations," He told her, rubbing her arm and she side-eyed him.

"Do you not like the decorations?"