forty-six

"Where are we going?" Penelope asked as she stared out the window of the rental car.

"It's a surprise," Elijah replied with a smirk, and she scoffed. Their second flight was delayed due to the storm that was starting when they had landed. The delay was an extra three hours. At first, Penelope didn't mind because they took their time eating lunch, and in the media store looking at books, however once they reached halfway through the third hour of the layover, Penelope was growing restless especially when she would look at the windows and see the roaring storm outside.

Elijah took her to a few of the bakeries, candy stores, dessert café's, and really anything else that might help distract her or keep her occupied. They had even traveled to the different concourses to look around. By the fifth hour of the lay over, Penelope was tired, her feet were hurting and she was getting grumpy and no amount of snacks or water was going to fix it. So they made their way back to their gate; he took her blanket from their carry-on and rolled it up and told her to lay on the seats and he began to massage her feet. Luckily by the end of the hour, the weather was clearing up enough for the plane to start boarding.

"Ugh, you and your surprises," She sighed, looking over at him and Elijah continue to stare out the windshield with a smirk as he reached over and rested his hand on her thigh. It was past six in the evening, they hadn't even landed until after four and once they got their rental car and their luggage, Elijah took her to go get dinner; she didn't know how long it was going to take them to get to where ever they were going. She rested her hand over top of his as she looked out the window, taking in all the beautiful colors of autumn in the trees as they made their way into the mountains.

Her heart stopped and her breath was caught in her throat as he drove up to a ginormous wood and stone cabin. It was secluded, surrounded by trees, but there was grass and the landscape was beautiful with flowers, shrubs, and cobble stone pathways. Elijah turned off the ignition once he parked and Penelope took her seatbelt off and grabbed her purse as her door opened. She took Elijah's hand and held her purses close to her side as she stared wide-eyed at the multiple story house.

"This is beautiful," She whispered and leaned into Elijah's chest when he rested his hands on her hips and kissed her head.

"I'm glad you like it," He smiled, wrapping his arms around her. "Because it's ours," He whispered in her ear. She turned and stared at him with surprise.

"This is ours?" She questioned and he nodded. "Ours? Like...we...we own it?" He nodded again.

"I was originally planning for us to go to Scotland or Greece," He started as he began rubbing her stomach. "However, I-I don't know," He paused. "The more I planned it and thought about it, I didn't want to fly over the ocean with you pregnant. You're already a nervous flyer and long flights like that over the ocean would stress you out and you wouldn't be comfortable," He continued and Penelope felt herself smile. "It's getting to chilly to go to the beach for you to enjoy it, and I remember you saying you missed the autumn colors so I looked for mountain get-away's, and this place came up for sale... And I pictured our family coming here during the summer," He whispered softly, and Penelope's heart fluttered in her chest and she felt those familiar butterflies. "I picture family vacations in this house, holiday's here..."

"It's perfect," She whispered, turning to look at him with a smile. He returned it then leaned down to kiss her.

"Let's go look inside," He whispered and she nodded.

Elijah fished his keys out of his pocket as the walked up to the front door, and he unlocked it. Penelope was speechless as they walked in. High ceilings with chestnut beams, the walls were a soft cream color, and the floor was a chestnut hardwood. The living room was large with a grand piano in the corner near the patio door, and a large, stone fireplace that Penelope thought was beautiful. The kitchen was huge, dark wood cabinents and black marble countertops, with a large kitchen island in the middle. Penelope counted three ovens, and that made her very happy. There was also a library, it was only half filled with books; books that Elijah had purchased copies of their books to fill the shelves. The back yard was large, spacious, with a fire pit, a pool and a hot tub – a hot tub that she pouted over because she couldn't use it. Elijah promised that they would come back one day, alone, because he wants to see her in that white bikini and to take it off her.