Together-Part 1 (Brenda)

Brenda's P.O.V

Y/N and I have been close since the instant we met. We have this unbreakable bond that nobody can touch. Maybe it's possible that knowing almost nobody our ago played a part, but it doesn't change anything. That's exactly how I like it.

Today though, something did change. A group of teenagers that ended up being from WCKD showed up. From there things only got stranger. After the building ended up in flames I ended up being stuck with one of them in the tunnels. By some coincidence, inconvenience, or miracle, we ended up close to a town. It doesn't matter though because I still have Y/N with me. Even If everything is a mess at least I have her.

"What a day,"She sighed, staring at the burning fire like she was in some sort of trance.

"That's an understatement,"I agreed.

"At least, we're not alone,"She added, saying the exact words on my mind as she put her chin in her hands and continued staring at the dying flames. Something about it made her eyes look different. Not in a bad way. Nothing about her is ever bad. It's just that the light seemed to make her look even more perfect than she usually does.

Wait, what? Why would I think something that sweet sounding about her? It's true that I'm nice to my best friend, but that almost sounded non-platonic.

"I'm glad you're the person I gave to survive this hell with,"She mumbled, closing her eyes. After a moment she appeared to have completely dozed off.

I couldn't help but smile down at her as her breathing become steady and peaceful. I laid her head on my lap and let her stay that way.

"I love you,"I whispered, not even comprehending the words until they had reached my ears.

"Oh no. I love you,"I whispered in a more properly worried tone as I thought about what to do. How am I supposed to react to this? I'm in love with my best friend, my only friend, and I have no clue what to do now. There's nobody I can go to for advice because I usually go to her when I have a problem. That definitely wasn't an option with this situation.

Life just got even more complicated in three seconds. On top of fighting for our lives and to get back to the other people, there's regular teenage drama on top of it. Except, we've never had that before.

To cut it short I appear to be screwed. This could either go really well or painfully bad. As always there is no middle ground. I don't know which side of the scale it falls on right now, and that's probably for the best. Right now everything is already so unclear, and I want to keep that fake feeling of obliviousness just a little longer.

When it's gone I need a plan. If not there's a chance I could lose my best friend, and that sounds like one of the worst fates I could suffer.