Unspoken Rules (Platonic Aris)

"You are getting on my last nerve,"I warned as Aris kept walking beside me.

"You're my only friend here though,"He complained.

"Go befriend Newt,"I suggested.

"No. I want to stick with you,"He argued.

"Aris, I am going to kick your ass if you don't leave me alone."

"No you won't,"He shrugged, knowing very well I would never hurt him. Even when he is being a pain in the neck he's still somehow my best friend.

"Why won't you leave me alone?"I repeated.

"Because I don't feel like talking to anyone new. I want to talk to my best friend who's extremely mean to me for some reason,"He huffed.

"No you don't,"I replied, deciding to be annoying back.

"Don't tell me how I feel."

Yep. It was working already.

"I'm not. You're just not feeling anything reasonable,"I continued.

"Is it so wrong that I want to talk to my friend for a little bit?"He exasperated.

"We are not friends,"I lied, keeping my face so expressionless he knew I wasn't being serious. Even if I hadn't he would still know that we're each other's ride or die. Still, we were so bored in the Scorch that he pretended he wasn't aware of that.

"That was uncalled for,"He exclaimed.

"You're uncalled for,"I shot back.

"You are not making any sense right now,"He pointed out.

"You're not making any sense right now,"I mocked.

"You can't just repeat what I say and slightly change the words."

"Blah, blah, blah. All I hear is that you want me to continue being irritating like you were to me."

"That is not at all-"
"La, la, la, la,"I repeated, plugging my ears.

"Hey. Not cool man."

"I can't hear you. Sorry not sorry,"I explained even though I could hear him just fine. If he was going to be a nuisance to me I had to be one back.

"You two are annoying,"The new guy who literally tied us up and got us into this absolute disaster remarked. The nerve he has is outrageous.

"No he's not!"
"No she's not!"

"What? You both have been saying that for the past half hour,"He pointed out, clearly not understanding the unspoken rule all friendships have.

"Only I get to be a jerk to him. Nobody else, and if they are they just suck,"I explained. He just stared at me with a blank expression.

"Have you never had friends before?"Aris asked, also not understanding how somebody wouldn't know the unspoken rule.

"I don't think adults who go around tying up teenagers are super popular,"I pointed out. He seemed to genuinely think about it before nodding in agreement.

"It doesn't look like you two are that popular either. The only people you talk to are each other,"He pointed out.

"She has like seven personalities,"Aris shrugged.

"Sod off,"I scoffed.

"There's the mean one. In a few hours you're probably going to be back to your oh so sweet and charming self,"He sighed, resting his arm on my shoulder. Looking at him with mock disgust, I pushed his hand off.

"You are the worst person I have ever had the displeasure of laying my eyes on,"I scowled.

"You say that all the time, but you're always walking right beside me. Like an aggressive puppy."

"I don't like you, Aris. I really, really don't like you,"I sighed.

"What would I do without your kind words?"He asked, using me as a human armrest yet again. Throwing him a harsh glare, he was still completely unaffected as he practically used me to stand. Not because he couldn't. Just because he's obnoxious.

"I should have voted to banish you,"I mumbled.

"You know you love me,"He said with a smug grin. Looking him up and down, I shook my head to say that I heavily disagreed.

"No. I think you might just have brain damage,"I suggested.

"So I don't understand. Do they hate each other, are they flirting, or do they genuinely like each other?"The guy asked Minho, not bothering to be subtle.

"We don't know. We just kind of accepted this,"He answered.

"Accepted what?"

"That they're bloody annoyin' when they're together and even more annoyin' when they're apart,"Newt stated as if we weren't right next to them.

"I think they're even more annoying than you,"I admitted.

"I knew you'd be your nice old self soon,"He dramatically sighed.

"You know what? I take it back,"I groaned, rolling my eyes. Before he could say anything else I started walking way ahead of him only for him to keep following me.

"Talk to other people,"I demanded.

"No. I don't want to,"He complained.

As usual we went back and forth on playful insults. Of course, there was one extremely and unspoken rule.

We are the only ones allowed to be mean to each other. It's a line that shouldn't be crossed under any circumstances. If it is, they'll see that we're not just irritating (though we are good at that).

No. They'd quickly see just how far ride or die can go.