The Wise One (Chuck)

I smiled at the new kid who was joining us. His name was Chuck, and he was the youngest yet. It was clear he was terrified, and I already knew what to do. Out of the friend group I am the one who comforts people. That includes new people too. In my mind everyone deserves that.

"Are you scared?"I asked quietly. Despite it being clear I wanted him to process it on his own. If I told him he was he may have felt like it was forced upon him or deny it as a sign of independence. If he denied it now then that's what makes him comfortable, and I refuse to push his limits.

He hesitated on his answer which told me everything. So I did the second best thing and let him know I was there for him for whatever he needed.

"Don't worry buddy. We'll help you out, and if you ever need it I'm the one people go to for help. A hug, advice, whatever you need,"I promised.

"How?"He asked quietly.

"She's been here the longest. Before she could even walk she's lived here so she knows almost everything,"Newt explained.

"So you've never seen out of here?"Chuck asked.

"Not that I know of, but guess what?"I asked.

"What?"

"That just means I know how to help kids like you. It means you'll remember my words enough that I'm unforgettable.