Only Human (Minho)

I don't exactly know when it hit him. Maybe a little after he was struck by lightning. Maybe when WCKD first tazed him. Maybe during one of the several times they did he was there.

At the end of the day, it doesn't actually matter. The result is the same.

He has an intense fear of storms. One that he'll deny in front of everyone. One that'll try and laugh off. One that he swear he doesn't have because being struck by electricity 'didn't effect him that much'.

It did though. It absolutely did.

I was worried the entire day. With the clouds getting heavier and the sky getting darker, the weather wasn't looking too good. It was windier than we were used to and seemed like there was a cold front. All signs that his worst fear was coming soon.

Minho sometimes likes to sleep in his own cot, just by mine. He likes being independent, and cuddling all the time wasn't his thing. He'll stay up late and talk, sometimes reaching over to hold my hand, but that was it for the nights he was there.

I asked if he was sure he wanted to sleep alone tonight. It was about to rain pretty bad, and I'd be more than willing to hold him. He rejected the idea though, and I didn't want to push it. I just let myself drift off while praying he would actually be okay.

It must have only been a few hours until I woke up to thunder booming, lightning flashing, and heavy rain pounding on the ground. That was definitely not a fun thing to disturb my dreams. Life was so peaceful, and in just a few seconds it was completely ruined.

I sighed as I sat up and rubbed my eyes for a moment. With my mind adjusting to the dark, I let out a yawn.

That's when I heard it. Small whimpers and soft cries from beside me.

Glancing over, I saw Minho shaking as he covered his mouth so I wouldn't hear. His eyes were tightly shut as tears stained his face. Curled up in a ball, he sobbed into his hand.

Not saying anything, I got out of bed and went over to him. Running my hands through his hair, I whispered comforting words as I slowly sat beside him. Moving over, he gave me half of the bed. As I laid down I pulled the blankets over our heads to try and block out the light and the noise.

"It won't hurt you. Nobody's going to hurt you,"I promised. Burying his head in my chest, he cried harder, his tears getting on my shirt. Ignoring it, I cradled his head with my hands. "I won't let anything touch you. You're safe now, Minho. You're safe,"I repeated.

Right as I said those words that were supposed to assure him there was another roar of thunder followed by bright lightning. Wrapping his arms around me even tighter, he seemed unable to stop his tears. Holding back my own from seeing him in so much pain, I closed my eyes as I kissed his temple.

"It's okay. It'll be over soon. I promise it won't last forever,"I swore. Shaking his head, he sniffled as he wore himself out. Humming to him, I kept him as close as possibly. Tangling his legs in mine, he was curled up to my side.

Minho's one of the strongest people that I know. He's been through so much. He knows what hell is. He's seen it with his own eyes. He's been touched by the devil himself. He's been burned despite the way he never put his hand on the stove.

He's suffered so much. His brain chemistry will never be the same because of it. He will forever be scarred, doomed to live a life people expect him to be grateful for while his past keeps doing everything to haunt him.

He's only human. That means that sometimes he just needs to be held. He needs to be shielded from the world. He needs to be shown love. He needs someone to show that they won't be somebody who leaves him.

I'll never leave him. I'll hold him through every single storm and stay up all night looking out for him.

Exactly the way I am right now.