Cold (Gally)

If there's one obvious thing about what happens when you go through the changing it's that you change. That's only expected when you go through whatever they do. They scream their throats raw, their veins grow, and when they wake up they stay away.

So when Gally got stung I knew he'd change, but he was already reserved to basically everyone. Now he was cold. Here's the problem. He didn't used to be reserved when it came to me. I expected him to be like that after though. I accepted that it was a possibility. I just didn't expect that he seemed to despise me. Glaring at me from across the room, walking away whenever I'm near, pretending I don't exist when we're talking to the same person, and so on.

I ended up scared that I was being paranoid so I asked Newt if he noticed anything. Newt didn't say anything, but Minho just said he did in fact seem to hate me.
Now it was Greenie night, and I quickly learned I shouldn't drink when I'm emotional.

"I shucking hate him,"I managed to get out.
"Yep. You've told me that,"Newt agreed.
"I want to fight him,"I slurred.
"You've said that to."

From behind us the fight ring was going on. In my tipsy state I got what seemed to be the best idea in the world.

"I'm gonna do it,"I said, standing up. Newt quickly got to his feet to try to stop me.

"Y/N, you cannot have Gally be the first person you fight in the ring. If you're going to fight please don't let it be him,"He pleaded.

"I gotta, and you can't stop me,"I argued. Before he could say another word I headed to the ring. As expected Gally was right in the middle celebrating another victory.

"Who's going next?"He asked the crowd. Nobody volunteered, but I made my way through the crowd.

"I am,"I told him, holding my head high. His face suddenly dropped, and any excitement he had left his eyes. In fact, he looked like he wanted to leave right then and there. He wouldn't though. Not in front of everyone here. He would never live it down.

"Well? Just fight me already,"I repeated. He clenched his jaw as his face turned bright red in anger. I put my hands up ready for the blow.

Instead, he turned around and walked directly out of the ring. The entire Glade seemed to be silent.

"Coward! You're a shucking coward!"I yelled. Why would he walk away like this? If you hate someone shouldn't you be jumping at the opportunity to fight them? Did he despise me so much he didn't even want to be near me?

"Come on Y/N. Let's get you to bed,"Newt said, gently guiding me out of there. I sighed in defeat and let him.

"He hates me,"I whispered, finally feeling the reality and the drinks kick in. I was almost stumbling as he kept an arm around my shoulder. It didn't help that my hut was the furthest than the others.

"You look like you're going to pass out. Why don't you just stay in my hut tonight?"He suggested.

"I don't like sharing beds,"I slurred out.
"I'll take the ground because I doubt you'll make it."

He was right, and since his hut was right next to us I just let him help me in. I ended up tripping over air and falling to the ground.

"Come on,"He said, pulling me up. As promised he helped me on the bed before lying on the floor.

"This is why you're my friend. You help me when I'm a wreck,"I mumbled.

"You're just tipsy. You'll be okay in the morning."

"No. Gally probably wouldn't care if I vanished."

"I'm sure he would, and even if he didn't I would. Now get some sleep. You're going to have a rough day tomorrow."