74| When Emma Falls In Love.

74 | When Emma Falls In Love.

| Sage's POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Stay here," I told Rory.

"Wait—" she said, beginning to stand up. "No, Rory. Please, just stay here." I pleaded, forcing a smile. "I really need you to do that for me, okay?"

She looked at me for a moment, her eyes nearly in the verge of tears before nodding.

I didn't bother glancing at grandma, ignoring her calls for me. I walked passed her, my eyes locking onto my mom's frame.

"I'm sorry, but after all we've been through, especially over these last few months, you shutting me out is wrong." My arms crossed over my chest, watching the two of them silently.

"And you know what hits me the hardest, Lor?" Dad asked. "You keeping Rory from me."

My eyes landed on my hands, my fingers twirling my rings. I tried my best to ignore the tightening in my chest and the pounding in my head.

"Sage is—" he scoffed, "well, she's Sage. She's ignored me before, that isn't new. But Rory? Come on, Lor. What the hell?"

"What?" Mom gasped.

"I never, ever thought you'd do that." He seethed. "I'm not keeping Rory from you!" Mom exclaimed. "Oh really? Then why hasn't she called me back, huh? I mean no matter where you and I have been in our lives, my daughter has always called me back. Until now."

I scoffed, waking over to them. "Are you kidding me?" His eyes met mine, no sense of sincerity in them. "You have to be kidding me, right? Because if not, you're gonna stand here and tell me you can't comprehend why Rory hasn't called you back? God—" I laughed, "you don't think, do you? You never have. Maybe you should take a moment and realize just how these last few years have gone, hm?"

He went to talk, but I stopped him. "You pop into our lives, promise you're gonna stay, then suddenly we don't see you for another five months. Rory has always let it slide, she's always defended and supported you. She is the best daughter you could've asked for. I was never like her, I never believed you. I knew you'd always leave. But her? You're her dad. In her mind, you're supposed to be there."

"So after getting disappointed so many fucking times," I took a breath, "maybe she just doesn't want to talk to you."

"You have to understand—you both have to understand—" I watched his eyes dart beside me. I heard Rory walk up to us.

"No," she said. "I always understand. While we were nine years old and Sage was screaming at you, begging you to stay, not for her, but for me, I was sitting in my bed forgiving you!"

My eyes snapped to hers. I never knew she heard any of that. "I was always ignoring the fights between you two because I just wanted us to be a family. And I really thought that would happen. You promised me at Sookies wedding that you would stay, you promised! And for once, I'm done forgiving you. I'm done trusting your stupid, 'things will be better this time.' I'm just done!" She sighed, her hand grabbing mine.

"Don't say things like that, Rory. Just because your sister feels a certain way, does not mean you have to—"

I bit my tongue, keeping my eyes on Rory.

"Are you kidding? I didn't understand why Sage felt like this for years! I always thought she was just being dramatic, and that you were busy with work or something. But now? Now I finally get it. You were never gonna stay, she's known that for years." Rory said, looking down. "I'm done letting you hurt us like this." She met my eyes, water pooling in her waterline.

"I'm sorry for never believing you," she mumbled.

I shook my head, my hand tightening around hers. "I'm sorry you ever had to."

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺