Very sad with a dash of hope

"Everything's looking fine, Amphibiboy." I say, patting his shoulder.

"You're sure?" He asks, raising an eyebrow. "You're not just telling me that, right?"

"I'm positive." I reply, offering a small smile.

"You're-"

"Who's the doctor here, Newton?" I ask, raising my eyebrows and crossing my arms. He pauses, putting his hands up in the air.

"Right. Just making sure."

"Remind me why you have to keep coming in? Your leg is fine. Why did Clint tell you to keep coming in for checkups?"

Newt shrugs, running a hand through his already messy hair. "I think he said just to be sure everything's properly healed, but I don't remember. It's been so bloody long since it happened."

A silence passes between us. I sit down on the side of the cot that Newt's laying on and turn to face him.

"I'm sorry." I mutter, looking into his deep brown eyes.

"For what?" He asks.

"For not being there. For not knowing. Maybe you could've avoided all of this if-"

Newt cuts me off, taking one of my hands in his.

"There's no way you could've known, Venny. What's done is done. There's no way to fix it. I'll have this bloody limp for the rest of my life and there's no way to change that. But it wasn't your fault, okay? No one could've stopped me."

"I'm just sorry I couldn't save you."

"I don't think anyone could've saved me, V." He says softly with a loud sigh, his shoulders slumping slightly.

"Do you think that if we weren't trapped here, that you could've avoided the limp?" I ask after a minute. Newt nods, a sad look in his eyes. "I hate this fucking place." I mutter, tears filling my eyes.

"Me too, V."

"I think I'm losing hope, Newt. I'm starting to believe that there's no way out of here."

"At least you still have a bit of it, if you're only just starting to. I lost hope a long bloody time ago."

More silence.

"What do you think will happen to us? When we get out of here, I mean?" I ask, tilting my head. Newt shrugs, running a hand through his hair before rubbing the back of his neck.

"We find our families. We start a new life."

"Do you wanna meet your parents? Were they nice to you?" I wonder, thinking of Gally and his father. No parent should put their child through torture like what Gally had to endure.

"They were nice enough sometimes, but I don't want to see them again."

"Why?"

"Because they're the bloody reason I'm here. Whatever this is; wherever the hell we are, they put us here. They helped whoever put us here, making them responsible for this. And I hate them for it. I hate them so bloody much for it." He mutters, rubbing one of his arms and shaking his head, his fluffy hair bouncing up and down slightly.

More silence passes between us before Newt breaks it by asking,

"What about you? Do you want to meet yours?"

"I think I do." I reply after a moment's hesitation. "I don't remember much about them even though I've been here for so long. I want answers to all the questions I've been asking myself for years. I deserve that much from them." Newt silently nods. 

"Yeah, well, my parents owe me a lot more than just answers." He stands up suddenly then, running his hands through his hair. "Well, since you said I'm fine, I think I should go. Work calls."

"Right." I reply, nodding. "See you later for dinner though, right?"

"Yup." He mutters, shoving his hands into the pockets of his faded cargoes. And, without another word, Newt disappears outside, leaving me alone in the Medhut once again.

🪐🪐🪐

"Anything new yet?" I ask Minho and Ben when they jog over to us to join us for dinner. Ben squeezes between Logan and I and throws an arm across my shoulders. I scrunch up my nose and push him away. "Gross, dude! You smell awful!"

"Don't try to miss us too much next time, Princess." Minho mutters, rolling his eyes.

"Shut up. He smells disgusting."

"Yeah, well the hard work paid off today." He replies with a grin. I look over to Minho, my eyes hopeful. He smiles back at me, eyes bright and shining.

"Really?!" I ask, trying to contain my excitement. I look over at Newt, who's been quiet for most of dinner.

"Nothing's for sure yet, but that cave we found last week?" Minho says, leaning over the table in order to speak quietly to Newt and I. Chuck and Logan seem to be in a heated discussion about Slopper stuff, so it's not like they're paying much attention to our conversation as is. Regardless, they're young. We don't need to worry them about stuff like this yet.

"Yeah, what about it?" Newt asks. "I thought you didn't find anything."

"Not necessarily. We ran out of time because of the damn Griever. Anyways, we decided to check it out one more time just to see if anything was different. Sure enough, I think we might have found something."

I meet Newt's eyes, a grin on my face. He returns it with a small smile.

"What was it?" I urge, gripping tightly to Ben's hand.

"Well, we found a series of tunnels, which could lead to nothing at all, but we can't be too sure yet. We need to assemble a group of Runners to help us explore it one day. There were a few other minor things, but we have to go talk to Alby and discuss this all with him. We need to know what he thinks about it. He'll know what to do."

Ben offers me a smile and I return it, my eyes shining brightly. A feeling of newfound hope floods my body, making it nearly impossible for me to stop smiling.

This could be it.

This could be our way out of this hellhole. 

This could be our way home.

A/N~ Hey guys! I wanted to apologize for being so innactive lately. I just finished binge watching one of my new favorite shows twice over the course of four days, which is the one and only, The Artful Dodger, starring our very own Thomas Brodie-Sangster! It was literally amazing! Jack Dawkins and Lady Belle's relationship was perfection. The amount of tears I cried over the weekend because of the show was insane. It's my Roman Empire right now. I literally can't go a day without thinking of that damn show.

Not only that, but I'm also running out of ideas and inspiration. I have a plan for the story, but it's mainly for the romance and not so much the action parts, so if you have any suggestions for action sequences, that'd be well appreciated. I know this is a longer story, but it'll all be worth it in the end. Trust me.

Thank you to all of my readers, but especially to those of you who leave comments and suggestions and even message me. Your support means the world to me. I mean it when I say that I couldn't be writing this without you guys. Your comments make my day and I love responding to them! Thank you all so much for everything, and I promise to try to be more active on here! I love you all so much! <3