Post War Pt 5

In the middle of the night, I found myself ensnared once again in the clutches of that same relentless nightmare. The echoes of torment reverberated through my subconscious, dragging me deeper into a realm of fear and anguish.

My body twisted and turned beneath the sheets, caught in the throes of a battle I couldn't escape. Sweat glistened on my brow, mingling with the tears that streamed down my face as I cried out in the darkness.

Suddenly, a gentle touch roused me from the depths of my terror. Severus was there, his concerned eyes searching mine as he shook me gently, his touch a lifeline in the suffocating darkness.

"Niamh, wake up," he whispered, his voice a soft murmur that cut through the haze of my nightmare.

I jolted awake, heart pounding against my chest, my breath coming in ragged gasps. Fear gripped me like icy tendrils, rendering me unable to speak, unable to move.

Severus's arms wrapped around me, pulling me close, his touch a soothing balm against the jagged edges of my terror. His hands brushed away my tears, his fingers tracing delicate patterns on my skin as he murmured words of comfort and reassurance.

"It's okay, you're safe," he whispered, his voice a gentle melody that echoed through the darkness. "I'm here, Niamh. I won't let anything harm you."

I clung to him, seeking solace in the warmth of his embrace, my body trembling with the aftershocks of my nightmare. With each heartbeat, I felt his presence anchoring me to the present, grounding me in the comforting reality of him. I found myself cocooned in the safety of his arms, the memory of my nightmare fading into the recesses of my mind as I surrendered to the gentle rhythm of his heartbeat.

Severus's concern lingered in the air like a heavy mist as he held me close, his arms a steadfast anchor in the turbulent sea of my emotions.

"I made you a sleeping potion," he offered softly, his voice tinged with worry. "It might help with the nightmares."

I hesitated, my gaze meeting his with uncertainty. "I... I don't know, Severus," I admitted, torn between the desire for relief and the fear of dependency.

"You need to rest, Niamh," he insisted, his tone gentle but firm. "Please, let me help you."

But I shook my head, a knot of stubbornness tightening in my chest. "I can't, Severus. I can't become reliant on it."

He sighed, his expression reflecting a mixture of understanding and frustration. "You don't have to carry this burden alone," he murmured, his fingers tracing soothing circles on my back.

I swallowed hard, overwhelmed by a wave of guilt. "I'm sorry for keeping you awake," I whispered, my voice thick with emotion.

His arms tightened around me, offering comfort and reassurance. "You have nothing to apologize for, Niamh," he murmured, pressing a tender kiss to my forehead. "I love you, and I'll always be here for you."

Tears welled in my eyes as I returned his embrace, gratitude swelling in my heart. "I love you too," I whispered, my voice barely above a breath. I leaned in, pressing a tender kiss to his lips, my gratitude overflowing in the gentle touch of our lips.

As I reluctantly pulled away, he hesitated, reluctance evident in his eyes. "I think I'll go read in the living room for a bit," I murmured, offering him a reassuring smile. "I'm not tired, and I want you to get some rest."

He hesitated, his arms tightening around me as if reluctant to let me go. But I gently extricated myself from his embrace, offering him a reassuring smile as he nodded, his gaze lingering on me with a mixture of concern and affection. "Just call me if you need anything," he said softly, his voice a gentle promise.