Epilogue

Four Years Later

The warm summer breeze carries the scent of blooming flowers as I step out of our cozy cottage, cradling our three-year-old daughter, Astrid, in my arms. The sun shines brightly overhead, casting a golden glow on the quaint village of Hogsmeade.

It's been four years since Severus and I exchanged vows in a beautiful ceremony surrounded by our loved ones. In that time, life has been a whirlwind of joy, challenges, and countless precious moments.

I've been splitting my time between working as a healer at St. Mungo's Hospital and cherishing every moment with our daughter, who has brought an indescribable amount of happiness into our lives. Astrid is a curious and spirited child, with her father's sharp intellect and my adventurous spirit. She has inherited Severus's dark, expressive eyes and my unruly curls, creating a unique blend of features that never fails to capture the attention of those around her.

As I watch her giggle and reach out to touch the vibrant flowers in our garden, I can't help but feel a swell of gratitude for the blessings we've been given. Despite the demands of our busy lives, Severus and I have made it a priority to cherish these moments together as a family.

Severus, ever the devoted husband and father, has been a pillar of strength and support throughout it all. While his work as a professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts keeps him busy during the school year, the summers are a time for us to unwind and create memories together.

"Look, Mama! Pretty flowers!" Astrid exclaims, her eyes sparkling with wonder.

I smile warmly at her, feeling a sense of awe at the innocence and joy she brings into our lives. "Yes, sweetheart, they are beautiful," I reply, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead.

As we continue our stroll through our garden in our backyard, I reflect on the past four years filled with laughter, love, and countless adventures. From late-night cuddles to magical bedtime stories, each moment has been a precious gift that I hold dear to my heart.

And now, as I feel the gentle flutter of life within me, I'm filled with anticipation for the arrival of our second child, who will join our growing family in less than 3 months.

As the sun begins to dip below the horizon, I take Astrid back inside and I find myself lost in the comforting rhythm of chopping vegetables for dinner. The savory aroma of herbs fills the air, mingling with the sound of Astrid's cheerful laughter as she plays with her toys nearby. Astrid had insisted on waiting for her father to join us for dinner, her excitement palpable as she set the table with mismatched plates and colorful napkins.

"Is daddy coming soon, Mama?" Astrid asks, her eyes wide with anticipation.

I smile fondly at her, brushing a stray lock of hair from her forehead. "Yes, sweetheart, he'll be home any minute now," I reply, feeling a swell of excitement at the thought of our family being together once more.

As if on cue, the familiar sound of the front door opening echoes through the house, followed by the soft murmur of Severus's voice as he steps inside. Astrid's eyes light up at the sound, and she rushes to greet her father with outstretched arms.

"Daddy!" she exclaims, her voice filled with joy.

Severus's face breaks into a warm smile as he bends down to scoop Astrid up into his arms, spinning her around in a playful embrace. I can't help but admire the way he dotes on our daughter, his love for her evident in every gesture and smile.

"Hello, my little princess," Severus says, pressing a kiss to Astrid's cheek. "Have you been a good girl for Mama today?"

Astrid nods eagerly, her eyes shining with excitement. "Yes, daddy! Mama made the best cookies, and we played in the garden!"

Severus's smile widens at her words, and he shares a knowing glance with me before turning his attention back to Astrid. "That sounds wonderful, darling," he says, his voice filled with affection.

With Astrid safely in his arms, Severus makes his way over to where I stand, a loving smile playing on his lips. He leans in to press a tender kiss before gently placing Astrid back on her feet.

"Thank you for waiting for me, sweetheart," Severus says, ruffling Astrid's hair affectionately.

Astrid giggles and reaches up to hug her father tightly, her small arms wrapping around his neck. "I missed you, daddy," she murmurs, her voice soft.

Severus's expression softens at her words, and he pulls her into a warm embrace, holding her close for a moment longer before gently guiding her towards the stairs. "It's time for bed, Astrid," he says, his voice gentle but firm.

I watch with a smile as Severus tucks Astrid into bed, his voice soft as he reads her a bedtime story and kisses her goodnight. Once Astrid is settled, he comes back to the kitchen and returns to my side, wrapping his arms around me in a comforting embrace. I lean into his warmth, feeling a sense of peace wash over me in his presence.

Severus presses a tender kiss to the top of my head before lowering himself to kneel beside me, his hands gently cradling my growing belly. I turn to face him, meeting his gaze with a soft smile as he speaks to our unborn child, his voice filled with love and anticipation.

"Hello there, little one," Severus murmurs, his voice soft with affection. "Your mother and I can't wait to meet you."

As I put the finishing touches on dinner, Severus stood up and wrapped his arms around me from behind. "How was your day, love?" he asked, his voice warm against my ear.

I smiled as I leaned back into his embrace, feeling the comforting weight of his arms around me. "It was good," I replied, a hint of excitement in my voice. "I felt the baby kick for the first time."

Severus's eyes lit up with excitement at the news. "Truly?" he exclaimed, his hands moving to rest gently on my stomach. "That's wonderful, my dear. I can't wait to feel it for myself."

With a smile, I turned back to the stove to finish cooking, feeling a rush of joy at sharing this moment with Severus. As we plated our meals together, he helped me carry them to the table, his touch gentle and reassuring.

Once we were seated, we began to eat, the conversation flowing easily between us. "How was your meeting today?" I asked, taking a bite of food.

Severus shrugged, his expression turning slightly bored. "It was uneventful," he replied. "But there was some news about the opening for the Herbology professor position. Minerva and I conducted the interviews, and Neville Longbottom will be taking over the role."

I couldn't help but smile at the news. "That's fantastic," I said, genuinely pleased. "Neville will be wonderful in that position."

Severus nodded in agreement before turning the conversation back to me. "And how was your day?" he asked, his tone soft and curious.

I recounted my activities with Astrid, from playing, baking cookies, coloring and to our time spent in the backyard. We talked about other topics as well, enjoying each other's company and the simple pleasure of sharing a meal together.

After we finished dinner, Severus took charge of cleaning the dishes while I began to prepare for bed. As I changed into my pajamas, Severus entered the room and his gaze lingered on me, a hint of desire evident in his eyes. "You look stunning," he murmured, causing a warm blush to spread across my cheeks.

I smiled shyly in response and moved closer to him, reveling in the electricity that sparked between us. We shared a tender kiss before finishing our nighttime routine and climbing into bed together.

As we settled beneath the covers, Severus wrapped his arms around me, drawing me close against his chest. His hand found its way to my belly, where our unborn child lay nestled within.

"I love you," he whispered, his voice soft and filled with emotion. "Always."

I turned my head to meet his gaze, feeling the depth of his love reflected in his eyes. "And I love you," I replied, pressing a gentle kiss to his lips before snuggling closer to him, feeling safe and loved in his embrace as we drifted off to sleep.