136

<<home>>

"Soo", my mum enters the room, looking around. "This was a wild day."

I nod, playing around with the pen on my table. "Yeah."

"Your uncle called. He wanted to talk to you - ask if you're okay."

"I'm fine."

My mum looks at me.

I look at the pen in my hand. It feels like it is giving me the stability I need right now.
I think of the lyrics I wrote down earlier.

[switch]

"So, you're exited for school starting tomorrow?" My mum looks at me questioning over her ice-cream.

"You mean because I will be the talking with this very elegant British accent?", I try to sound like I mean it in an ironically way.

"Exactly. This accent is so elegant - everybody's gonna think you're related to the Queen."

"I'm related to the King of Pop - does that count?"

Mum looks at me warningly. "Mandy, I thought we'd talk about this."

"Yeah. We did. We did."

"But?"

[switch]

"I hate to pretend that I hate social media and that I am a kid of the 80s", I say, my hand grabbing the fork like it's been the one telling me to do so.

"It sound's cool", my mother says.

"It is NOT cool."

"Did you already made friends?"

"Nah. They're all looking at me like I'm an alien. One dude even had the balls to call me ‚britain girl'."

"You don't sound very British right now - where's the British politeness you've been taught?"

I shrug.

My mother sighs. "So, anybody who was nice?"

"Well one girl seems kinda cool. She's from England too. We're having maths and literature together. She asked me if we want to meet at the weekend."

"But that's fantastic!"

I look at my mother frowning. "The weekend we're already having plans - remember that aunt Cherry wanted to come over?"

"Oh honey, I don't think is is gonna happen -" My mother doesn't speak the last words and she doesn't need to do so, cause the feeling of loss that I felt constantly the last weeks and months kicks in like someone turned on a light switch.

I wake up on the couch, my heart beating faster than usual. For some long seconds I just listen to the sounds in the apartment - the tap drippin' water into the sink from time to time, the silent sound of the traffic from far under at the building, the sound of a siren in the distance. All sounds I've gotten used to slowly.
England is still somehow my home - my apartment in London being orphaned at the moment - but I slowly realize that it's not only the location where you eat, drink and sleep is what you call home. It needs more than that.
This apartment feels much more like a home to me than the apartment in London or the apartment I've had for several years here in Ontario.
With that thought in mind I close my eyes to doze again while waiting for Shawn.

***

It's early morning when Shawn arrives at the apartment.
I'm still laying on the couch now more asleep than awake. Somewhere between the 151th ad and the clock turning two-thirty, my eyes had shut down and sleep had taken over.

"Hey." Shawn's whispering, touching feather-light my hand, then putting the blanket all around me. He kisses me softly on my cheek.
It feels kinda unreal - him being here. Still.

I mumble something. I'm not sure wether it's "how was the show" or "I'm happy that you're here."

I think he's saying something like: "I'm happy that you're here, too."

Sweet.

"You're gonna play somethin' for me?", I ask despite the fact that I'm almost sleeping and Shawn must be tired as hell. It's just that his music is giving me the best dreams.

Shawn's laughing softly. "Okay."

He's sitting down at the piano and a silent melody's filling the room. It's not melancholic - it's more of an aching. Like someone wants to say something so badly and he doesn't because he's still trying to find the courage to do so.
But you know what? A melody - an aching, heart-warming, ice-breaking melody - a melody can transfer emotions you didn't know you have. Feelings you didn't know you'd feel.

I didn't know I would find this

I listen to Shawn's voice - he's not singing with his stage-voice - it's more natural - tired and a bit raspy because he's been speaking and singing a lot this evening. I like that voice.

I didn't know what I did miss

The melody is taking me somewhere. Somewhere where the chorus is fainting but still very present.

Out of the blue
It took me to you
It makes me believe
That I still can believe
Believe
Believe

The dreams are taking over and I've almost fallen completely into sleep when Shawn ends his song, whispering: "Goodnight Mandy."

————————
AN:

Hello guys, I hope you're doing well!

The next chapter is probably gonna be a more adult one, so if you don't like to read that just skip the chapter. :)
I'm very happy about comments and suggestions (is it gonna continue that well for Shawn and Mandy?!).

Have fun reading!

Rapunzel