Chapter 681 - 685

CHAPTER 681

Nordic Fleet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trondheim Fjord, stretching approximately 130 kilometers in length, is the third longest fjord in Norway.

A fjord is a complex bay or inlet shaped by glacial erosion. Because the width of the bay remains relatively consistent from the entrance to its innermost point, it forms a very narrow, elongated waterway. The Atlantic Ocean, particularly around Greenland, Iceland, and the Scandinavian Peninsula in Northern Europe, is well-known for having many such fjords. One of these, Trondheim Fjord, housed the base of the Nordic Fleet of the Otherworldly Empire.

Vice Admiral Selmos, the commander-in-chief of the Nordic Fleet, looked over the fleet lined up within the fjord, a satisfied smile on his face.

"It has been a long journey to reach this point."

"Indeed."

The secretary-like woman standing behind him was Onyx, the chief of staff.

"I am truly impressed with how well everything has been put together with the limited resources available."

"Even though we were given two new battleships, the rest of our forces were severely lacking."

Referred to as the "Nordic Fleet," the fleet of this region was made up of captured ships, mostly from nations focused on defense. There were not many vessels capable of venturing out into the open sea for battle. And were there even any enemies in this region? When they conquered Northern Europe, there were hardly any significant enemies left in the vicinity.

The British forces had fled to Canada, and though the United States remained, its fleet was stationed in positions spread across the Atlantic and North Sea. The Nordic Fleet's primary duty was merely to prepare for the possibility of an enemy arriving by circumnavigating the British Isles and following the northern route.

Mundus Empire Nordic Fleet (Vice Admiral Sergue Selmos)

- Battleships Tirpitz, Sovetskaya Rossiya

- Coastal defense ships Sverige, Drottning Victoria, Gustaf V, Oscar II, Äran, Wasa, Tapperheten, Manligheten, Niels Juel, Peder Skram, Harald Haarfagre, Tordenskjold, Norge, Eidsvold, Ilmarinen, Väinämöinen

- Armored cruiser Fylgia

- Light cruisers Gotland, Tre Kronor, Göta Lejon

- 37 destroyers

- 44 submarines

- 3 temporary aircraft carriers

- Other several small vessels such as minesweepers

As a result, although they had a considerable number of ships, most were of relatively low performance. Therefore, Vice Admiral Selmos who was in charge of the fleet made the most of the limited budget, procuring surplus outdated equipment to carry out modernization upgrades on the ships of the Nordic Fleet.

Particular attention was given to the modification of the 16 coastal defense ships. Although classified as battleships, these were originally coastal defense ships armed with large-caliber guns, featuring small, slow-moving hulls. By modern artillery standards, their performance was also subpar. Such useless vessels could have been abandoned or scrapped, but since the Nordic Fleet had few cruisers, Selmos decided to utilize the coastal defense battleships for their firepower despite their limited seaworthiness.