Chapter 29: So Close

The next morning, Kendall feels the world around her shake as she wakes to Alex shaking the bed telling her to wake up.

          "Hey baby," Kendall smiles.

         "Who did you have over for dinner last night?"

        "What?" Kendall sits up. "Alex it was just Chris why?"

        "How'd these get to the dining room then?" Alex asks as he tosses her bra and underwear on the bed.

        "Because I took them off when I was cleaning up after Chris left," remembering she left the plates on the table as well.

         "I'm confused as hell right now Kendall."

         Pulling her legs up to her chest and pressing her head against them and running a hand through her hair, "I'm sorry."

        "What are you sorry for?"

        She's quiet for a second wondering if she should lie, biting her lower lip. "I was with Chris last night."

        "Yeah, you told me that. You had dinner."

        "We did have dinner," realizing he didn't put two and two together. "Alex...Chris and I..." Kendall says but thinking more about it. "Just had dinner and I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

        "It's okay," kissing her softly.

        "Did you have a nice trip?"

        "Yeah but I'm glad to be back."

       "I'm glad you're home too," Kendall smiles.

       "I was so close to telling Alex last night," the text reads from Kendall.

         Chris sighs, texting her back, "I was so close to telling Kelsey."

       "Don't tell her Chris."

        Before Chris can text her back, eight-month pregnant Kelsey comes downstairs and to the kitchen, Chris sitting on the couch eating a bowl of cereal.

        "Good morning," she smiles.

        "Hey morning."

         Kelsey sits down on the couch, her food propped on her belly, "this kid needs to evict now. I didn't sleep at all last night."

        "A couple more weeks," Chris says softly, sliding his hand on her stomach.

        "You know that's one of the first times you've done that," Kelsey smiles. The baby kicks hard against his hand.

        "Did you feel that?" Chris's eyes getting a little wide.

         "Feel it? Chris, he's been beating up my belly for weeks with those kicks," Kelsey laughs. "But I'm glad you had a chance to feel him," leaning over and kissing his cheek. "Do I have the day with you or does work have you?"

          "I'm here all day."

        "You know I was reading that sex helps start labor," Kelsey bites her lip.

         "Oh really?"

          "Really, just a suggestion baby."

         "Then what are we waiting for?" Chris winks.

         "I don't know," leaning over and kissing him.