Chapter 56: Done

Sitting on the bench, watching the water come to shore and back out, Chris cannot believe what is happening. He looks back at his phone, reading the screenshots Malik sent, not remembering sending them—because he didn't. He notices the texts in the screenshots even have the little pet names they had for each other and seems to have most of his own lingo down.

          "Hey there," a tall tan woman walks up to Chris.

          "Hey," Chris smiles softly, looking back down at his phone.

          "You are sitting on a pristine beach, next to a beautiful girl and all you're going to do is look at your phone," the woman winks, sitting down beside him.

          "Sorry," Chris laughs, sliding the phone back in his pocket. "My girlfriend and I got into a fight, so I just needed a sec to myself."

          "That's too bad. Need some help getting over it?"

          "I don't think she'll like that very much."

          "But she isn't here is she? Come on, its vacation. You deserve to have a little fun," the woman says seductively, moving closer to Chris.

          "I'm sorry. You're a stunning girl, and you're really nice but I love my girlfriend no matter what, and I can't do this. It's wrong," Chris stands up.

           "Come on, what's one night? I won't tell her. Don't you want to know what it's like to be with someone different?"

          "I'm not a cheater."

          "I understand. I'm sorry for putting you in that position," she says kissing Chris's cheek. "Have a good vacation and if you change your mind," she smiles.

          Getting back to the room, Chris strips down to his boxers and pulls out the couch bed, assuming Kendall is asleep.

          "You're back late. Did you talk to Kelsey?" Kendall asks, laying in the dark.

          "No, I didn't talk to Kelsey," laying down.

          Kendall sighs, "Chris when we get back I'm going back to my place."

           "What?" Chris sighs, sitting up.

          "I can't do it, Chris. I just can't."

          "You really don't believe me? Your own boyfriend?"

          "I can't keep believing you. It's easy to delete text messages, Chris. You have to prove you didn't. It's honestly not even just this. It's been in the back of my mind for a while."

           "What's been in the back of your mind?"

          "Moving back to my place," Kendall turning on the light. "I'm not happy anymore. Since we lost Linley, it all feels fake. We feel fake or no feeling at all. What's the point of staying together? And this? It's just the topping."

          "Kendall I love you, and if you can't see that I didn't send those damn texts, then I guess we do need to break up. I'm tired. I'm tired of making sure I say the right thing. I'm tired of being so honest with you, but you would rather believe a sack of shit and my psycho ex-girlfriend then your own boyfriend."

          "Chris, how many times have I told you I don't care if you said the right thing or not. I wanted you to be real with me, and you weren't, and that's probably a big part why I feel this way," Kendall says, her voice rising. "I love you too, but I don't want to be with you anymore."

          "Okay, well sorry for making your life so miserable," Chris gets up, pulling on his sweats and shirt. He walks out of the sliding doors and out to the hammock.

          Not backing down, Kendall climbs out of the bed and out to the back. "What?" Kendall asks.

           "Nothing Kendall."

          "No, don't tell me that. Tell me what you're thinking. Just be honest with me for once Chris."

          "Why? Because you're just not gonna believe me anyway."

          "And that just solidifies why this is for the best," Kendall informs, walking back inside.

          Chris sighs, closing his eyes.