Chapter 60: Meeting the Ex

"Chris your two o'clock is here," his receptionist buzzes in.

           Chris stands up, walking out and grabbing the doctors reports the emergency room faxed over. "Russ?" he asks, holding out his hand to the unsteady form on crutches.

           "Hi, yes sir," Russ shaking his hand.

          "I'm Chris Hamilton. Come on back."

           "Think you can get me all fixed up?" Russ asks. The rubber pieces of the crutches making suction noises on the laminate floor.

          "A couple visits I think I can have you back up and running," Chris smiles, sitting down. "Alright, no emergency contact information?" Chris asks, noticing the blank space by "emergency contact."

          "Ah nah not really. Is it necessary?"

          "A little bit," Chris laughs, grabbing the pen behind his ear.

          "I don't have anyone around but my ex, which is how I hurt my knee. I was out celebrating her finally realizing I didn't want to be with her," Russ laughs. "It's good to be single, eh doc?"

          "I mean yeah it has its perks, but I'm not single. I have a girlfriend. So, you went out and partied and hurt yourself doing what?"

          "The best advice I can give you doc is to dump her. She will just try to get you to settle down by getting pregnant," Russ smirks. "But I uh, I may have drunk a bit much and got into a brawl."

         "Baby on the way?" Chris asks, writing in the file.

          "Already have one and another on the way."

          "Well, congratulations."

          "I don't think you understand man. I don't want them," Russ shakes his head. "Didn't want the first and definitely don't want the second. Addison, the oldest, she's a handful. She's always running around and loud as shit. I can't stand it."

          "Alright well let's get started," Chris sighs.

          "This hurts like hell doc," Russ winces.

           "It will get better trust me. Just keep doing the exercises you'll be able to walk in no time."

          "Gotta get back on my game," Russ smirks as Chris prints off the computer the exercises for Russ to follow. "You expect me to do this at home?"

           "If you want to get better man, the more you do those, the less you have to see me."

          "Sounds like a plan.

          Having not seen Russ since she kicked him out, Addison asking where he is every so often. After keeping Addison cooped up all day, Kendall takes her for a walk downtown to get her some ice cream and to the park—not that far from Chris's office.

          Almost dropping her ice cream, excited as she screams Chris's name, seeing him walk out of his practice building.

           Kendall laughs, trying to get her to stop," Addison I think he hears you," waving at him also.

           "He's coming over!" Addison exclaims.

          "I know he is baby girl," Kendall smiles, wiping Addi's sticky hands.

           "Hey Addison," Chris smiles. "Hey," greeting Kendall.

          "Hi Mr. Chris," suddenly getting shy.

          "Hi," Kendall smiles.

          "Where's Ollie?" Addison asks.

          "Ollie is at home. I know, I know I promised he would be with me," Chris laughs.

          "It's okay."

          "She's talked my ear off about you and him all week," Kendall laughs. "Busy day at the office?"

          "Um, just a few people. Does an R-U-S-S ring a bell?" Chris asks.

          Kendall's smile fades. "What was he doing there?"

          "Um hurting his knee partying?" Chris shocked Kendall doesn't know. "Supposedly got into a brawl."

           "I wish that surprised me. I'm sorry you had to deal with him. Wait, how did you know he was an ex?"

         "He mentioned her," Chris nods toward Addison.

          "I know you don't have to say it, Chris. I chose a winner, I know," Kendall says sarcastically. "He wasn't like that always."

          "So I'm assuming he isn't there?"

           "No, I kicked him out a couple of days ago. I gave up on trying to have a family with him. It sucks."

          Chris clenches his jaw, "So you are raising a child and another one here soon by yourself?"

          "Yeah I will be, but he hasn't really been around for her anyways. It kills me sometimes," Kendall sighs.

          Addison hands her ice cream up to Kendall, informing her mom she's ready to shop.

          "We were about ready to shop for the new baby's room."

          "You wanna come?" Addison asks.

          "Baby I'm sure he has better things to be doing," Kendall laughs.

          "No I don't," Chris shakes his head. "Sierra's working all night, and I'm sure you'll need some help. Her little arms can only carry so much," nodding towards Addison.

          "Sierra?"

          "Oh yeah, my girlfriend."

           "Oh," Kendall smiles. "Chris you don't have to, but if you'd like to, we really would love to have you."

          "Well then lead the way mom," Chris winks.

          "Alright let's go," Kendall smiles, Addison taking Chris's hand. "Looks like she has a new best friend," she smiles, the trio walking down the street to the baby store.