Chapter 42: Remembering The Conference

A week after the scare they are back in their ways, baby Linley perfectly healthy—Kendall listening to Chris. They find themselves spending most nights either at Chris's or Kendall's. The weekend has arrived, and the two are downtown spending time together, getting lunch and shopping for the baby. They get some necessities but not getting too much since Kendall is supposed to be having a baby shower, but getting their registry set up.

          They are at Lowe's picking out paint for Linley's room, needing to cover up the paint job that's in there now.

          "I know, I know nothing too girly or pink," Kendall winks.

          "I'm thinking like a yellow or light-colored purple," Chris smiles, looking at a few paint samples.

          "Yellow is a cute idea," Kendall smiles.

          "Chris?" They both hear a woman's voice excitedly. Turning—Kelsey. "How are you?"

          "Shit," Chris thinks. "Um, I'm good, you?"

           She walks over hugging him, noticing Kendall and her belly, "wow you didn't wait long did you?"

           "Kelsey stop, don't start this shit right here."

           "No I'm just saying, I guess I'm surprised," Kelsey smiles.

          "No I guess we didn't," Kendall says.

           "Where's your boyfriend?" Chris smirks.

          "He's with Mason. We are doing great. So how far along are you?"

           "About five months," Kendall moving her hand to her stomach.

          "You look really great for five months. I was huge," Kelsey smiles, trying to be nice.

           "Thank you. I still feel huge."

          "Well I'm sorry to be messing up your day you guys have fun," Kelsey smiles.

           "Have a good night," Chris says, Kelsey walking away. "Thank you for being nice."

           "It's not that I do not like her, I didn't like her with you," Kendall says. "Well okay maybe I don't like her either, but I kind of felt bad for her."

          "Yeah, I do too."

           "I was just waiting for you to realize you were supposed to be with me," she winks at him.

           "Well look what happened."

           "I know, funny how things happen. Want to do anything else while down here?" Kendall asks, Chris grabbing the two cans of yellow paint.

           "I can't think of anything right now," Chris says as they make their way to checkout, hand in hand.

          "I think I'm gonna get started painting babe," Chris says as they walk into the house.

          "Sounds good," Kendall looking through the mail, a package with Chris's name on it. "Hey, Chris," following him up the stairs, "what's this?" pulling out a packet with hotel room booking, plane tickets and brochures for medical conferences. "Did you have a conference coming up this week?" Looking at the tickets.

           "Uh yeah I do," walking into the baby's room, taking the packets out of her hand.

           "Oh," Kendall says a little disappointed. "That's um...that's great."

          "I'm sorry, I didn't tell you. A lot of things have been on my mind. I don't have to go."

          "No you should go, I'm sure it will be fun, and you'll learn a lot," Kendall says taking the information back from Chris.

            "Yeah but you're gonna be mad."

            "No babe I'm not, I'm just surprised."

            "Okay," Chris says, kissing her softly on the lips. "Okay get out of here, I don't want you inhaling the paint fumes," Chris instructs.

           "Yes sir," Kendall smiles, "I can't wait to see it," running her hands down his chest. "I'm gonna go lay down, she's tiring me out."

           "Okay," Chris smiles, pouring paint in the paint tray—beginning.

           After a few hours painting he finishes for the night as he closes the windows but leaving the fan on, he walks to the bedroom, Kendall passed out in the bed. He smiles, leaning down and kissing her forehead.

           "Hey," Kendall smiles, a strong paint smell waking her up. "All done?"

           "For the night yes, a little sleepy?"

          "I guess I was more tired from today than I thought," Kendall smiles, cuddling against her body pillow, "shower and come join me."

            "Oh, I smell?" Chris winks.

           "Just the paint fumes not you babe," throwing another pillow at Chris.

           "Yeah, yeah," tossing the pillow back to her. "I will be back."

           He climbs into the bed ten minutes later, no longer smelling like paint, Kendall smiles. "I'm gonna miss you this week," putting her book down.

           "I'll be back before you know it," Chris winks, kissing her forehead.

           "I know I know god I'm acting like one of those needy girlfriends. I'll be perfectly fine."

           "I'm sure if you asked Sarah she'd come to stay with you to keep you company," Chris suggests.

          "I'll probably just stay at my place for a week and maybe grab dinner with her and my mom. I haven't seen her in forever."

           "Well if anything happens or if you just feel like you need me, you call me, and I'll catch the first flight home."

          "Babe I think you are getting more worried than I am now," sliding her hand on her belly. "She's going to be fine. The doctor says she is healthy," Kendall reassures.

          "I know. I just worry because of our little scare."

            "I know babe. You know I've been taking care of myself this time, hell you pretty much make sure of it."

           Wrapping his arms around her, "Well I'll try not to worry."

          "Thank you because it only makes me worry more."

          "Go to sleep," Chris smiles, kissing her temple.