Alli- 42

"Prove it." I surprised myself with the words that passed my lips, suddenly wanting to take them back. Of course he loves me... right? I know he's said more times than I could have imagined, but someone else's words were ringing in my ears. The words of the bitch I used to call one of my best friends.

"Look at you." She had startled me, catching me when Sara went to the bathroom, making sure I was alone. "You look ridiculous."

"Nice to see you too Lexi." I mumbled, pretending to do something on my phone.

I jumped when she smacked my phone out of my hand, the device hitting the ground and no doubt shattering the screen. "He doesn't love you."

"Whatever you say." I mumbled, staring at my phone on the ground.

"I don't know why you even try. He's obviously just using you to make me jealous."

"Obviously."

She scoffed, pushing my shoulder lightly. "Get this through your head. No one likes you. There is no way in hell he could love you, so stop fooling yourself." When I didn't say anything, she continued. "No one likes you." She annunciated every word, making sure I would hear everything she had to say. "And even if he does, it's not like anyone actually stays with you. Everyone leaves you. Me, Luke, the entire fucking school. Even your father didn't want to stick around for you. You're a pathetic little loser and-"

"Get the fuck out of here." I had jumped at the sudden sound, Sara thankfully returning from the bathroom. Though that didn't stop Lexi. 

"He's just using you for sex."

"Go away." Sara said, her voice strong and steady. 

Lexi chuckled, slowly taking steps away from us. "If you don't believe me, sleep with him, see if he sticks around then." 

Both Sara and I watched her walk away. Only when she was out of sight did I walk over to pick up my phone, and sure enough there were cracks across the black screen. I sighed heavily, making sure it still worked-- which thankfully it did. 

"You know she's wrong right?" Sara had asked softly, concern written across her face. But I never got to answer her, because the next words I heard were the best distraction that could have come. The boys were coming. So instead of answering her I pulled her behind me to watch them do their thing

"W-what?" Luke stuttered, his attack on my neck halting as soon as the words processed. 

"Prove it." I whispered again, the only other words I was really hearing were Lexi's- He's just using you for sex.

"Alli-"

"Luke, please." I whispered, his bright blue eyes shining into mine. I didn't think I would be ready any time soon, but after my talk with Sara the other night I was a little more comfortable with the idea... I just didn't think it would happen so soon. And I knew he was going to try and talk me out of it, but I chickened out now I knew it would more than likely never happen again. If he tried to reject me now, I would never be able to actually face him again. 

"But-"

"Luke-"

"Oh my god Alli!" He said firmly, successfully shutting my mouth. "I am not taking your virginity in a fucking storage room in some random hotel. No." 

"Luke-"

"Alli, no." That final word stung... no. Rejection. My body seemed to move without my permission, untangling myself from him and opening the door he had had me pinned up against. Tears stung the backs of my eyes, but I wasn't sure if it was because the fact he blatantly rejected the idea of proving that he loved me, or the fact that Lexi was wrong. If he was using me for sex then he would not have cared where we were, but he did. So Lexi may have been wrong, but he still refused to prove he loved me. Maybe he didn't actually. I mean words only go so far. And people lie.