Alli- 54

"Allison, are you sure you're okay?" Jaime asked for like the fiftieth time in the last hour. 

I had forced myself to come into work today, seeing as apparently I was going to need the money even more now. I had puked, yet again, all morning before getting myself into the shower and somewhat presentable for the diner. I was supposed to see Ashlyn this morning, but I had elected to skip my session, as I had since I found out I was pregnant. I knew I should go see her, but I didn't know how to talk about it. 

My mum immediately started crying as soon as she had processed what I had told her. I thought she was going to be mad, but she assured me she wasn't. She asked me how it happened, and as much as I didn't want to tell my mum that I had indeed had sex, I told her about the last time I saw Luke. She said she was relieved it was him and not some random guy I had met in California. That didn't make me feel any better, though. I still had to figure out how I was going to tell him. 

"I'm alright." I muttered, retying my apron around my waist. "Is it okay if I leave a little early today? I have to go pick my mum up from the airport later." I asked, taking a deep breath as a wave of nausea hit me. I was happy my mum was coming out to see me, but her flight wasn't landing until almost 10 pm. She had told me I didn't have to meet her at the airport, that she would get a cab and come to my apartment, but I needed to see her as soon as possible. 

"Yeah... Allison you still look sick. You can go home, I can find someone to cover you." He said gently, playing his hand on my shoulder as I leaned back against the counter. I wanted to cry, but I didn't know if I had any tears left in me. I had cried for almost a week straight... calling out of work and skipping my therapy sessions to lay in my bed and sulk. I was still so incredibly terrified, and I thought that coming to work would help distract me but the smell of the food was just making me that much more sick. 

"I'm... I'll be fine, just give me a minute." I mumbled, sucking in a  deep breath and pushing into the back office. Jaime followed behind me, placing a hand on my back to rub slow circles as I waited for the room to stop spinning. I hadn't eaten much in the past few days and I think it was finally catching up to me. 

"Allison, what do you need?" 

"Uh... can.... uh...." I started, pausing so I could suck in a breath. I hunched over, my elbows resting on the desk as Jaime continued to rub my back. "Water. Can you get me a glass of water, please." I whispered, sighing as he stopped rubbing circles into my back. I heard the door of the office open, the silence ticking by as I continued to take in slow, deep breaths. After a minute or two I heard the door open again and felt Jaime's hand land on my back. 

"Here." He spoke softly. Eyes watching me with the upmost concern as I spun around to sit on the desk instead. I gave him a thankful smile before downing the glass in almost one sip. Jaime raised an eyebrow in question, but didn't actually say anything. 

"Thanks." 

"Allison, you've been sick for the past two weeks, maybe you should go to the doctors." He suggested, a humorless chuckle leaving me. 

"I'm going to the doctors tomorrow when my mum gets here." I told him, setting the glass down on the desk. Jaime crossed his arms as he looked at me, confusion taking over his features. 

"Allison, what is going on with you?" 

"What?" 

"You've worked here for a month, you've been my best server since you got here, but you've been so out of it the past couple weeks. Do I need to be concerned?" 

I looked at Jaime for a moment before smiling. I still wasn't used to people actually showing an interest in my well-being, and it felt nice to know that someone cared. Jaime may have been my manager, but I also considered him a friend.