Mad Hatter

*shit, I'm sorry I keep giving you songfics, don't hate me, and it's another Chara. :P. This one is a bit darker.

I was visiting Chara. I was a counselor, and I was usually assigned to the dangerous ones. But Chara-they took the cake with a well-used knife. I was starting to suspect they had developed something of a liking for me, and I needed that to be shut down. I was able to make the faster progress with them. Today I wore a blue (dress/shirt) and my white coat. Sitting down in front of the little desk, I turned on the microphone and made sure the thick glass wasn't broken. I said into the little box I was ready for Chara to come out, and they did.

Sitting in a restraining chair, with little wheels, they gave me a bright grin, hair falling in their face. Chara occasionally spoke with other patients, like the woman who went nuts after her husband was killed, the blue-haired man who had tried to give out 'nice cream', and the old man who had tried to kill children for their souls. A woman who thought she was in the 'royal guard' wasn't allowed near Chara, and the tall boy who thought he was a 'skeleton hero' had almost gotten killed when he tried to speak with them.

But now Chara sat in a sort-of...solitary confinement. They were comfortable, but had access to no one other than me and some doctors. And his guard, a funny, short, 'big-boned' man who was very close with Dr. Frisk and another physiatrist, Toriel. And the boy who thought he was a skeleton.

"Chara, nice to see you. Are you doing well?" I asked, pressing the button on the microphone.

They leaned in, grinning at me. I smiled and leaned back in my chair.

"Just fine, Doc. I can't eat with even a plastic knife anymore, but oh well. Forks are still an option." Hearing this, I made a note to restrict any silverware at all.

"And have you thought about why you're here?"

"I killed a few people." Chara chuckled, unfazed by this. I shook my head and rested my arm on the counter.

"No, Chara, I mean why you're in this room alone." I sighed. They nodded, moving their head quickly. I got the message, holding my hand up for them to stop. We talked on like this for a while, until I asked something seemed to anger Chara.

"Are you...still having those dreams, where you're with...friends? In the...the...ahem...'Underground', or...in your words, 'a twisted up Wonderland'?"

Chara stopped smiling, stood up. I then noticed that the restraints were loosely tied together, probably their own doing. The guard was a responsible man, didn't like slacking with Chara around. Slamming their hands on the glass, the guard moved to pull them down. But Chara kicked him and hit him in the neck, knocking him out. Turning to me, they grinned once more.

"My friends don't walk, they run

Skinny dip in rabbit holes for fun."

I stood and pressed the microphone, but Chara didn't stop staring.

"Popping, popping balloons with guns, getting high off helium.

We paint white roses red,

Each shade from a different person's head.

This dream, dream is a killer

Getting drunk with a blue caterpillar."

I stood and tried to calm them by speaking soothingly. I got an insane giggle.

"I'm peeling the skin off my face," they scratched at their face, smiling at me.

"'Cause I really hate being safe.

The normals, they make me afraid.

The crazies, they make me feel sane."

I moved to the confinement door, made sure it was locked from the outside. Chara's red eyes followed me.

"I'm nuts, baby, I'm mad,

The craziest friend that you've ever had.

You think I'm psycho, you think I'm gone,

Tell the psychiatrist something is wrong." I moved to the phone, called up security.

"Over the bend, entirely bonkers,

You like me best when I'm off my rocker.

Tell you a secret, I'm not alarmed.

So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

All the best people are crazy, all the best people are."

I searched the cabinet and found nothing to calm them. Turning, I saw Chara shake some medicine bottles at me.

"Where is my prescription?

Doctor, doctor please listen!

My brain is scattered,

You can be Alice." They pointed at my blue clothes.

"I'll be the mad hatter." Another round of crazy laughs.

"I'm peeling the skin off my face." More scratching/

"'Cause I really hate being safe.

The normals, they make me afraid.

The crazies, they make me feel sane.

I'm nuts, baby, I'm mad,

The craziest friend that you've ever had!

You think I'm psycho, you think I'm gone.

Tell the psychiatrist something is wrong.

Over the bend, entirely bonkers

You like me best when I'm off my rocker.

Tell you a secret, I'm not alarmed,

So what if I'm crazy? The best people are."

They slowed the fast, rapid thing they called singing. They merely spoke softer, and in a melody.

"You think I'm crazy, you think I'm gone.

So what if I'm crazy? All the best people are."

Chara looked at my eyes as if they knew something.

"And I think you're crazy too, I know you're gone."

I once had a serious issue with depression, and deep social anxiety so that it made it hard to go outside. I got over it, was able to get a job helping others.

"That's probably the reason that we get along."

They sped up their voice again, smiling wider.

"I'm nuts, baby, I'm mad,

The craziest friend, that you've ever had.

You think I'm psycho, you think I'm gone.

Tell the psychiatrist something is wrong!

Over the bend, entirely bonkers

You like me best when I'm off my rocker."

They started knocking on the plastic, hard and loud. The singing became screaming.

"Tell you a secret, I'm not alarmed,

So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

All the best people are crazy, all the best people are.

The guards rushed in, tall and menacing. By now, Chara's guard had woken up, and was apparently fine. He brushed the worried people and followed after Chara. I heard a loud screech, as if they had to finish their song.

"All the best people are crazy, all the best people are."

I sat down, scared. I don't know why I was so afraid, maybe because. Because, because.

I agreed.

*finally got this out!