Not Close Enough

It all happened so quickly that you were struggling to digest it all. It all started when Thomas and Minho had allegedly found an exit from the maze, which then led a whole load of you going out into the maze re-finding that way out. They were right it was a way out. But first you had to battle grievers just outside the exit, or (for the griever's) entrance, of the maze. Alby had given himself up in the hope that he would spare most of your lives. What a shuck load of lies was that, he sacrificed himself in an attempt to save the rest of you, but it hadn't worked. He was the first one in the maze and he was so close to being the first out as well, but he hadn't made it because he gave up his own live and freedom to try and save everyone else's. He was close, but not close enough.

He was the greatest leader you had ever known; will ever know.

He was close, but not close enough.

Then there was the broken room; everything was smashed and destroyed. But then to everyone's surprise, Gally came into the room with this woman. He grasped the end of a knife in his hand. Shaking he rose the knife and you could tell he was battling a greater strength inside his body. But whatever he was battling had obviously won, because he managed to raise the knife in level with Thomas' chest area. A bead of sweat trickled down his forehead just as he threw the knife at Thomas. But the tip never sunk into Thomas' body. Instead it settled -it settled... into Chuck's body.

Poor Chuck. He was so young, so innocent, and had so much to live for. But his life had been taken away by just a flick of a knife, literally.

He was close, but not close enough.

And that was just minutes before a bunch of guys came and took you away from the place that you have held captive in for as long as you could remember (which wasn't all that long, considering the memory loss). Both Alby and Chuck were so close... but not close enough.

That had taken you away in a helicopter, and told you that they would take you to some place safe. But you were too overcome with grief to care right at that second. Too many bad things had happened to you and your friends. You felt a small tear glide down your cheek as you flew over the maze that you had spent the last two years of your life in; the only two you could remember.

Everyone inside the helicopter the mood was solemn and sober. Everyone in their own world, silently grieving and too upset and tired to talk to anyone about anything. You leaned your head on Newt's shoulder as another tear trickled down your face. You could tell that he was on the verge of tears too, but he just couldn't shed them yet. He had the most to be sad about. You, he and Alby had been inseparable in the Glade, having been amongst the first people to arrive in the maze.

"What do you think is going to happen to us now?" You ask Newt quietly.

He shook his head, "I don't know. I just bloody hope it's better than what happened to us before."

"Me too," You said and resumed the silence. It was quiet for a few more moments, when you heard a small sob next to you. You removed your head from his shoulders just as the first tears escaped his eyes.

"Newt...Newt, What's wrong," you asked, even though you knew what he was probably going to answer.

"It's just Chuck he so nearly made it and..." he sobbed a few more times, as well as releasing a few more tears, "...And Alby." A fresh river of tears gushed out of his eyes, as he spoke the name of his best friend. His sobs chocked him and his body shook uncontrollably as he grieved for his friend.

"It's fine, shhh, it's fine." You said in a pathetic attempt to comfort him. "They're both in a so much better place than we will ever be. They're going to be alright, I promise you."

"But they aren't going to be with us ever again," he managed to say through his ever-coming sobs.

You hovered you mouth near his ear and whispered, "One day we'll be able to see them again. One day."