One Night

Y/N's eyes narrowed down at the familiar boy sitting in a booth next to the window all alone.

Of course, it wasn't unexpected to have seen him here. Meridian was a small town with the population of a few hundred.

She was confused. He never came into the restaurant alone. He always came with a girl, or a couple of friends. If she's lucky enough to even see it, sometimes, his family.

She walked towards the booth with shaking hands. She didn't even know she was so nervous. Maybe it's because she had never served him before. Maybe it's because he can make her life miserable with just a snap of his fingers. Maybe it's because they were at completely different ends of the social hierarchy.

"Hello, welcome to Café Heaven. I'm Y/N and I will be serving you tonight. Can I take your order?" Athena smiled as she held the up. She took a glance at him. He looked out the window with his bottom lip caught between his teeth and he seemed to be in deep thought. Y/N cleared her , making his head snap at her direction. "Are you ready to order?"

"Sorry," he shook his head as he looked down at his menu. "Yeah, I'll have a of grilled cheese and a cup of strawberry lemonade smoothie."

Y/N scribbled down his order onto her notepad. "Is that all?" She looked up at him through the fringe covering her eyes and he had his chin resting in his hands as his were furrowed down.

"Yes, that's all," he smiled politely at Y/N. "Thank you."

Y/N nodded, walking away from the booth and back into the kitchen to place his order.

After about 5 minutes or so, Y/N came back with a plate of grilled cheese and a cup of strawberry lemonade smoothie in the other. She placed them on the table in front of Thomas with a smile. "Here's your order. A plate of grilled cheese and a cup of strawberry lemonade smoothie. Can I help you with anything else?"

"No, I'm fine," he smiled. "Thank you."

Y/N nodded and just before she was to walk away, his voice called out to her again. "We go to the same school, right?"

Y/N turned back to him with a smile on his face. "Yeah, we do. I'm in some of your classes as well, actually."

Thomas gave her a smile. "Would your be mad if I asked you to accompany me for just a little while?" Thomas looked up at her with big, hopeful eyes and even she couldn't resist him.

"I don't think she minds. My shift ends in a little bit." Y/N smiled as she slid into the opposite seat from his. "If you don't mind me asking, why are you all alone tonight? You're always usually with someone."

Thomas broke into a huge grin and he shook his head. "Got into a fight with my friends. My girlfriend broke up with me so... does that answer your question?"

Y/N nodded sadly. "Sorry about your girlfriend."

Thomas shook his head and shrugged as he took a bite off his grilled cheese. "It's cool. Not as if we really loved each other, anyway. We were together for like, 2 weeks. Probably even lesser than that."
Y/N raised her eyebrows as Thomas looked at her. "Hey, what time does your shift end?"

Her eyes snapped up to look at him. Thomas had a grin on his face and he was leaning against the table, his face being the closest its ever been to Athena. "In about 5 minutes, why?"

"I don't know," Thomas shrugged, leaning back against his seat. "I was just wondering if you'd like to go on like... an adventure with me. I'd also like to get to know you better."

The ends of her mouth curled up into a small smile. "And how would I know you're not like... gonna kidnap me or anything? Or drug me then bring me into a dark alley where your friends are waiting for you to bring a girl in? Hm?"

Thomas's eyebrows shot up and he started laughing as he took a sip from his smoothie. "Meridian is a small town. There's no room for mistakes and fuck ups in this town where everybody knows everybody."

Y/N lifted her head with a full smile on her face now. She got up slowly and looked down at him. "I'll be back in 5 minutes. I'm just gonna change out of my uniform. Alright?"

Thomas's eyes sparked as he looked up at her and he nodded immediately. "Alright."

Thomas smiled to himself with his fingers laced as he laid it down on the table.

On the corner of his table, his phone lit up with a message from his friend but he didn't notice it.

thomas, did she fall for it?