Into The Dark

A/N: Fire. Around Corner. Internet crashing. Hopefully. Don't die.

I sat on the dry patch of grass that was underneath me as I stared at the sketchbook in my lap, a paint brush in my hand as I took in the fine details of my drawing. The cool breeze that blew past me was a comforting presence and the air around me that had an aroma of petrichor with it made my mind a peaceful nirvana. I chewed on my lip as I focused my gaze on the drawing of the woods I had drawn, deciding on the colours that needed to be added onto this blank piece of paper. It was both a treasure and a joy to be in the woods near an empty lake all by myself without no one's presence near me. It was times like this that truly made us discover our own true selves without the the distraction of the fast world that passed by us. In the woods, all by myself, with only nature as my only company, it was just as easy as if I was falling into a deep sleep as I began painting the picture I had pictured vividly in my mind.

With furrowed eyebrows and deep in concentration, I pressed the tip of my paint brush against the fine material of the paper then watched with fascination as the orange paint began to slowly to fill the blank paper. I watched as it moved by itself across the paper, adding a bit of life into the drawing. The way it spread itself like a free soul drifting across the streets and world, without a worry clinging on to it. While biting on my lip hard, I followed its every movement before it finally stopped. Then, dipping my paint brush into an area of red paint, I swiped my paint brush to where the orange was found. I watched again as both colours merged and danced in sync, when finally a touch of water was added to it. Finally, as if a side of artistic side of me took over the movements of my body and mind, I began painting with nothing in my mind except the picture of a sun setting over the horizon of an empty lake with only the trees of the woods standing by its side.

I sighed and leaned back on my hands, taking in the half completed picture in front of me as I stretched to the side, relieving the tense and aching muscles I had gathered over the hours. I smile to myself as I looked at the fine details of the painting, noticing every single little detail that was present.

Details are important especially in art, for with details you learn to treasure the effort and meaning of every art work present. A simple piece of artwork isn't just an art that was for the amusement of peoples eyes to see, they carried a special story and meaning behind it with only the artist's talents used to told. That's why, my love, treasure every painting that you can paint or see for each of them has a special meaning behind it.

The words of my mother that was said to me when I was a young child echoed around my head as usual reminder and I subconsciously felt myself nodding my head as if she was really there in front of me. I shook my head then looked up at the sky when I instantly remembered her passing when I was only seven. The pain that was familiar at times like this never failed to make my heart clench in sorrow but as I stared at the sky where the sun was setting, I slowly felt the pain beginning to recede. I exhaled the breath I was holding and finally looked down at the watch that was on my wrist, nothing the time. I clicked my tongue when I realised that I had spent much more time painting that I had intended to and immediately shuddered when I recalled the pile of homework sitting on my desk back home. I cast my gaze to the art materials lying down on the ground beside me and slowly began packing up when I heard the sound of dead leaves crunching behind me.

Not hesitating to waste a second, I whipped my head around to see who it was and felt myself die a thousand deaths right there and then when my sight came across a huge wolf that was approaching me. Not knowing I was holding my breath, I swiftly shuffled backwards hoping to get as far away as I could from it but it kept heading towards my way. As I moved away from where my art materials laid and further from where I had sat, I could feel my heart pounding against my chest as if it was trying to escape the longer time passed. My heart was palpitating like a sledgehammer against my chest and my breathing was getting faster with every second. I could hear the words and warnings of what the principal of my new school told me about huge wolves roaming around the woods after being spotted and I felt myself mentally slap myself for ever thinking about coming here.