Chapter 4

Thanks for reading. Hope you like this story. I have a lot of chapters written and saved on my computer so I will probably upload a few at a time. Feedback and comments are always appreciated.

Niall’s point of view

I have just returned from a rather long lunch meeting. I approach the elevator in the lobby and stand next to a young man. He has feathery caramel colored hair stylishly swept to one side and a unique way of dress. He is slightly taller than me with a muscular build. I make it a point to be able to recognize all of the employees that work in my building. He is not someone I recognize. He was able to get past the front desk so he must be here visiting someone. The elevator doors open and we both enter. We reach for the same button and as our hands touch I feel this current run up my arm and throughout my body. What in the world was that? That has never happened to me before. The young man mutters sorry and backs away from me. I push the number for my floor. The lift doors close and I move to the center. I try for deep breaths and hope that the lift quickly gets me there.

Suddenly the elevator lurches to a stop and the lights dim. I am trying so hard to keep calm but it feels like the walls are closing in on me. I turn to the young man who is in the lift with me and look into a pair of striking blue eyes with the slightest hint of gray. He comes to my side concern on his face asking me what is wrong. I mutter “claustrophobia” and try to regulate my breathing. None of my calming techniques are working. I panic because I can’t seem to get enough air. I am starting to get really lightheaded. My vision blurs and I find myself collapsing on the floor.

I feel his strong arms pull me into his lap. I look into his beautiful blue eyes again. They remind me of an ocean. He starts rubbing my temples. He tells me to close my eyes and starts talking to me. His voice is so hypnotic. I could listen to him all day. I can feel myself relaxing into his lap. The tightness leaves my chest. It is getting easier to breath. I am not sure how long we were trapped but I find myself wanting to stay there with him. Suddenly the lift starts to move. He gently lays my head on the floor and stands. He pulls me up and I try to stand but my legs give out causing me to stumble into him. I am then swept up into a pair of strong arms and all I want to do is stay there. I feel so safe. I can hear the elevator doors open and he quickly carries me out.

I hear Liam talking to the man holding me. He tries to pull me away but I find I can’t leave his arms just yet. I don’t know why but I just have to have him close. I can feel us moving and can hear Liam instructing him to lay me down on a couch. I still cannot bring myself to let go of him. He sits keeping me in his lap and pulls me close to him so that I do not fall. I can hear Liam talking to me. I can tell he’s worried by the sound of his voice. He is trying his best to get me to open my eyes but I don’t want to. I feel so safe and secure in this mans arms. After a few more minutes I finally feel like I can open my eyes. I cannot believe that I was that clingy to a complete stranger. I can feel a blush creeping up my neck staining my cheeks. I crawl off his lap and sit beside him greeting Liam. I feel so ashamed. I must look like an idiot. He does not look like it bothered him. He is actually sitting with a small smile on his face.

I just want to go home and relax for a bit. If I have an attack it always tires me out. I tell Liam to change my schedule for the day and he rushes out to do so. The man introduces himself and stated that he is there to interview Simon. I am so embarrassed that his visit to my company was unsatisfactory. And that he had to witness one of my panic attacks. Without even thinking I offer to let him interview me and even invite him to dinner. Why in the world would I do that? I am a very private person. I don’t grant interviews. He accepts with a smile. I stand and walk to my desk and page Liam who will be in my office in about a minute. While we are waiting on Liam I ask “would you like to meet me at the restaurant or do you need me to arrange a ride for you?” Louis stands and comes over to me and says. “A ride would be nice. I do not have a car.” Liam walks in and stops about midway into the room. “Can you please take Mr. Tomlinson to his flat? And let me know where he lives we have a dinner meeting later on tonight. “Very good sir I will bring the car around he turns to Louis and says “follow me” and he quietly exits the office. I turn to Louis before he can walk out and say “how does six o’clock sound. Dress is casual.” Louis smiles and says “that will be perfect until then.”

He turns and quickly exits the office trying to catch up to Liam. I walk to my chair behind the desk and sit down running my fingers through my hair. I am amazed at how calm I am. I hold my hands out and notice that they are not shaking, not a bit. That puzzles me because normally it takes hours to calm down after an attack. I find myself actually looking forward to dinner tonight so that I can see the intriguing Mr. Tomlinson again. I am not exactly sure how long I sat there. Liam walks back into the office and instructs me that the car is ready whenever I feel like I need to leave and that he has moved my appointments around. I stand and we walk out of the office.

I really don’t want to do this but I have to enter an elevator again. We walk down the hall to the service elevator due to the fact that the main elevator is being inspected as to why it stopped halfway.  I cannot let my fear get the best of me. I have to do this. I step in with Liam by my side. I almost start to panic when the doors close. I take a deep breath close my eyes and imagine the meadow that Louis described. I can hear his soothing hypnotic voice in my head. By the time we exit the elevator I actually have a small smile on my face. My breathing is calm and steady. How did that happen? I should have been panicking. How can thinking of Louis calm me down that fast? I feel a bit unsettled that there is someone who can have that kind of effect on me. We quickly exit the building and walk toward my car. On the way to my flat my mind is flooded with thoughts of Louis. I wonder why I can’t get him out of my head.