Masks

I am lying on my bed eyes wide open. Even though I am tired I can't close my eyes.

Those masks, just why did they appear? Why did one of them had my mom's face? What do they want from me? Why couldn't Asriel see them? All these question and I don't have a single answer.

Suddenly the door to the room that I share with Asriel slowly opened. I look at the opened door the light coming from the hallway blocked by Asriel's frame. Small rays of light make it through. Asriel closes the door behind him and turns on the lamp on his small nightstand right next to his bed.

"Nilu...." Asriel whispers as sits down on the edge of my bed.

"Nilu...." Asriel softly whispers my name again and places his hand on my shoulder.

"Are you ok? You haven't eaten anything since we got back. I am worried about you." Asriel says sadly as he stares into the floor. I sit on my bed and I hug him. I lose it right there. I start crying like a little girl.

"I am sorry!" I apologize to him as he hugs me back.

"I thought that it would just go away. I thought it would just stop!" I say as I cling to him and he comforts me.

"I am so sorry!" I cry into his chest as he gently pats me on the back in order to calm me down.

"Shhhhhh, it's okay everything is going to be fine." Asriel whispers into my ear. I calm down as I sob in his arms.

"Asriel?"

"Mhh?"

"Am I crazy?"

"No, you are absolutely normal." Asriel answers my question.

Yeah if we ignore the fact that my boyfriend was a god and I can use magic. Totally normal right?

"The reason I was so scared today wasn't because of the lightning." I leave Asriel's embrace and I look down on my shaking hands. The rai outside is still going strong as the raindrops crash into the roof making quite a soothing sound.

"If you aren't comfortable telling me you don't have to." Asriel tells me as he holds my shaking hands.

"No, I want you to know."

"For some time now I have been seeing these specters. They usually wear black clothes and white animal-looking masks. At first only one appeared before me. She had a long black hair and a fox mask. I don't know why, but since I met her I had this desire to defeat her. But when I did, when I sliced her mask in half....... I wish I didn't. She looked just like my mom." I tell Asriel and he listens to my story.

"And, ever since we got back more of them apppeared. They are out there in the streets. I ignored them at first, but today was different. They glared at me from the rooftops. And then the lightning just annihilated the protective barrier that I enveloped myself in. I have never been so scared, Asriel." I look up to him.

"You don't have to be scared anymore. Right now you are safe. And I will protect you." Asriel says with a very determined expression.

"Thanks, but how do you plan on protecting me from something you can't even see?" I ask him slightly worried.

"Don't worry I will think of something." Asriel says, reassuring me with his smile. He kisses me on the forehead and pulls me into another comforting hug.

"And don't even start to think that you are being a burden." Asriel says as he hugs me tightly.

"Asriel.... I love you." I whisper softly into his ear.

"I love you too." Asriel whispers and lets me leave his embrace.

"Now, why won't you go and eat something before you starve to death?" Asriel suggest with a bright smile.

"Yeah that sounds like a really good idea."