Loris Karius (Klopp's First Summer Signing): Goalkeeper

Friggin' finally got his first interview after how many weeks. Still have the link in the external link button if you, for some reason, can't see it here.

Side note, if when we first got him and your thoughts slowly turned away from his goal keeping skills to "Wow, that hair. Him and Emre would get along well." One, I'm one step ahead of you on the latter. Two, I've got you covered with this chapter.

Surprisingly, he's actually a few inches shorter than Mignolet, coming in at 6'2 to Migs 6'4 and Ward's 6'3. Still, he has a tendency to make himself "bigger in goal" and this few inch difference almost never matters due to that as well as his aggressive, modern style. Until a striker's trying to chip him, then I guess you can worry, though I feel no really big reason for it.

Karius has the potential to become a world class, if not that, then a brilliant goalkeeper. As you see in the video above, either his defense is putting him into trouble or Aubameyang/Reus/Mhkitaryan is constantly badgering him. And for the most part, he does a great job. It's down to practically him that they finished so highly with the goals conceded against them. Along with that, he calls himself a modern goalkeeper, preferring to punch and tackle than save and wait. It helps offensively as the few second (or nearly a minute wait) that we get with Mignolet slows down our tempo and Karius will be here to speed it up and even kick down field, possibly getting it to our striker like what Leicester City had done in the past season. Unlike the others, he can't play another position, though his modern, offensive touch will make it seem like he may be in a different position.

What to expect from our new keeper is a great keeper. He's an upgrade, though it may not be the Migs to Ter Stegen switch we may have been hoping for. His coming in now sets a pattern in that it now seems like Klopp wants people that will attack the living daylights out of the opposing team. They'll be good, ready to run through brick walls for the club and ready to attack because that's the way to show their passion.

What we may see in the transition period has the possibility to be different from the others. As a teen, Karius trained with Man City so he understands something of how the PL works, with how young he is, that isn't far off from how the way it's played now. Had he not gone in the winter transfer window to Mainz 05, he'd have been considered homegrown and allowed to play in Europe with us without taking a spot on the first team sheet (depending on years). So he will come in with some knowledge and most likely not a rocky start.

For £4.7M, Karius is our third steal-I mean signing. He did train with Man City meaning background knowledge. He came to Mainz 05 for free and rather quickly bursted into the first team. Last season, it was easily said that he was the main reason they qualified for Europa. That in itself was like a final, due to the limited chances of those due to Dortmund and Bayern. That determination to keep consistency will be amazing after the crazy up and downs from this last season. Hopefully for us, he'll be one of the main differences between Top 4 and League Leaders.

Say what you will about Loris down in the comments!