Money Isn't Everything

Klopp isn't having any of this. And neither am I.

You must have heard this by now. Y'know, the Pogba stuff.

Yeah, he's gone to United. He's cost them £89m ($116m or €105m). He'll play in their ugly red. He's officially the most expensive player in this sport's history.

And Mourinho is gloating.

He's beyond gloating.

As he says, Liverpool's not a big enough club to get Pogba. Liverpool is not a big enough club to break world records, or even our own records. And he said the same for Arsenal so it's hilarious how he's still holding grudges he doesn't even need to hold.

But let's do the math. Is Pogba worth it? Is United even worth themselves?

Their new signings this season are:

Mhkitaryan is £27m, Ibrahimovic came for a free, £30m for Bailly, plus the aforementioned Pogba money. This totals up to £149m in just new signings. This doesn't even include the crazy money they're paying them.

We, on the other hand got Matip and Manninger for a free, Karius for £4.7m, Mané for £30m (might be £34m), Wijnaldum for £25m, Klavan for £4.2m and Grujić for £5.1m. Ours is £73m. And that's me adding the £4m I don't know that we paid for Mané. We got four more players than they did, and we paid less than half of what they did. And we improved the quality of our whole squad while they improved parts that yes, do need patching up but have yet to really get to the big problems.

C'mon, and United made fun of us for wasting money.

Let's get to the first team players that we know we, and they as well, will play.

Because I don't know (or care) of their first team, I just used the team they fielded for the Community Shield (which they will use to justify their season if they don't win anything else, you all know it) with a change or two.

De Gea- £17.8m

Valencia-£16m Bailly-£30m Blind-£13.m Shaw-£30m (or Rojo-£16m)

Pogba-£89m Mkhitaryan-£27m
Lingard-(youth) Rooney-£25.6m Martial-£57.6m (or £36m, who cares)
Ibrahimovic-Free

This adds up to either £284.4m, £306m or £270.4m. That's how much an underpreforming United costs. Yes, they have three frees on that one, but this is shocking. They don't show that they live up to the price tags they have (except for a few), they just think being United is good enough.

Let's get to us and hope it's not as bad. This is who I think we might field for a starting XI, though you may disagree (and I'm not making up these numbers, or forcing cheaper players in).

Karius-£4.7m

Clyne-£12.7m Matip-Free Lovren-£20m Moreno-£12m

Can-£9.75 Henderson-£16m-£20m
Mané-£30m Firmino-£29m Coutinho-£8.5m

Origi-£10m

Cheap, right? So cheap my phone autocorrected £100m for Divock Origi's price. It's hilarious.

Our club's total price is £152.65m or £156.65m, depending on what you thought Hendo's valuation is. You could change Milner in for Moreno, which would drop our price £12m because he was a free. You could put Sakho in for Lovren, which would drop the price by £2m.