Chapter 25-Timing

(Miyuki's POV)

Being the smallest among the neighbor kids, no one expected me to aspire to be the catcher. Wasn't that great?! Controlling the game even though you are not the coach.

"Catcher is really cool!"

However, as always, there will be a conflict with your senior.

During my first year in middle school, my seniors didn't want me to control the game. I was bullied by them that resulted to violence.

"What should I do now?" I stayed there, lying down on the ground. My body felt so tingly.

"Were those your senpais?"

As I looked up, there was someone that I didn't know. A girl that I didn't know, wearing a white shirt hoodie and a short jeans.

"Who are you?" I sat down and I was surprised since she crouched down beside me. Her hair was tied and her brown eyes were looking at me. It was piercing through me "w-what?!"

"Weird face!" She laughed and got something from her pocket. My eyes widened in surprise when I saw band-aids on her hands "stay still and I will put these to you"

I didn't know but I stay put and let her put the band-aids

"T-thanks"

"So you are a baseball player. What position?"

"Catcher."

"Hmmm. Then, why did this happen?"

I looked away and sighed. For some reason, I told her what happened.

"Then we're the same age?!" Her voiced cracked but she laughed in the end. Wait, same age?! "then how about go and attend your next match? But make sure to arrive earlier than your senpai. Then with big wide smile, you will greet them. Also, during the game, make sure to control them and show them that they need to follow you. After all, catchers control the game, especially the pitcher!"

I looked at her and she was so excited. I was about to response but she stood up and smiled at me

"Temari! Let's go home!" I turned around and saw a middle aged woman standing on the side road calling her. Temari? So her name was Temari

"Then I'll leave now. Don't give up playing baseball. Bye bye!"

It was a short encounter, but I wanted to talk to her more. I always stayed behind in the same place, but she didn't come. And because I met Rei-chan and Chris-senpai, I focus on baseball and forgot her.

~

I became high school and still my focus was on baseball. I became reserved to the people around me, and didn't even care about the others. Technically not. I was a closed book.

In my first year, I became a regular. I was surprised since I thought Chris-senpai would be.

"Miyuki! Are you sure you want to practice batting?" Nori asked confusedly "you supposed to catch my pitch though"

"Yeah! Well, a change of mood" I grinned. I took a bat and waited for his pitch. A catcher from the second string volunteered to catch his pitch

Nori-san threw the ball once, and whew! I hit it on the first time. But...

"Watch out!" The catcher and I shouted once I noticed that the ball went through the fence, towards the side road, and there was someone walking

"Miyuki, go and apologize!" Coach shouted and whew, his voice was really scary

I ran towards the student and immediately bowed down "I'm sorry! Are you okay?"

"Ah, yeah... I caught it, so you don't need to worry about it"