Recipe 1: Sizzle

Dedicated to Katniss_128 and Cha-ching

Hope you like it, reader-san! :)

Alex's POV:

"I'm sorry, Mr. Ramos. But you are fired from this establishment..."

"What?! Bu-but...but I'm doing fine, right?" I refuted...trying to save my job. "I helped you prosper your business, right? I followed the recipe...I attracted more costumers, just like you said...and made this franchise expand!"

"Yes...I understand that. But things are not going in favor of us." The manager explained to me. "We need to streamline our business to be able to operate more efficiently..."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Ramos, but my decision is final...." The manager concludes the conversation by giving me a pink slip. "I am thankful on your stay here...but I have no choice. Thank you, Mr. Ramos."

Immediately...after this meeting with the manager, I packed up my things...and leave the restaurant...that I worked hard to prosper for the past 5 years. As I walked past its doors and looked upon the restaurant for the last time, profound sadness filled my face...for I will never work here...ever again.

By the way, my name of Alexander C. Ramos...Alex for short. I worked in a popular fast food restaurant in Manila as a frycook. During my five year stay here, I mastered all of its recipes: from the deep fried chicken, juicy burgers and flavored French fries, to mouth-watering pizzas and fruit shakes. My expertise has attracted many customers and made the restaurant profitable...profitable enough to expand its business by building two more branches outside Manila...

"Hmph! Let's see if they would survive without me!" I say this to myself as I board a bus nearby to finally...go home...

But I can't stop thinking about it...my work for five years as a frycook is my only way of living. Because of my job, I was able to build my own house, helped my siblings as a tuition to their studies, and even buy my own pet cat! But now...without my job...I can't sustain it all: I can't buy furnishings for my house...I can't support my siblings...nor buy the food for my pet cat...and perhaps I may never make my future plans come true. Sigh...I need to get a brand new job at once! But...but...

"We have arrived in our final destination: Dasmariñas, Cavite station!"

Wha-what?! I just passed my home! Man, I'm so unlucky today! First, I lost my job...and then I'm lost, not to mention that I'm so hungry! Sigh...jeepneys will rarely pass by in this time of the day...early in the afternoon, where the weather is too hot...and most people take a nap, so I decided to walk home...though I really don't know where I am going right now...

I walked...and walked...and walked...with no safe haven in sight, like another restaurant, or a food store...so that I could buy something that, at least, could fill up my stomach...