Recipe 74: Family

Road Trip Day 30
Location: Nabunturan, Compostela Valley
Destination: Malaybalay City, Bukidnon
Duration: 4 1/2 hours

Alice Flonne's POV:

"Well...you see, I was able to catch up with her when I arrived here in Mindanao but...things changed for her...she's still look young but...she can't move anymore...she can't speak properly...her eyes...is a bit blind. Later on, I was informed that she just diagnosed with a stroke and decided that they will take care of her in Malaybalay."

"Oh...I see."

Jake is just talking about my mother as I drive the truck towards a certain nursing home in Malaybalay...where she is being tendered right now.

"Flonne...are you feeling alright now?" Lexi, sitting at the passenger seat as usual, worriedly asked me.

"Oh! Hehehe! I'm fine, don't worry." I smile at Lexi to convince him. "It's just I remembered something, that's all!"

Yes, I don't feel sick or something, just like before. There is just something...an emptiness and a sense of longing deep inside my heart...that is slowly showing,

Silence filled our truck for hours before we are able to reach a peaceful and simple nursing home...in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the city. We decided not to take shop today for this...special opportunity to see my mother...once again.

We arrived at the nursing home...where a group of caregivers are there to meet us...

"Hello...mam and sir...to our simple and humble nursing home. I'm Kristina, nice to meet you." The chief caregiver shake our hands. "What will be in our service today?"

"Umm...Miss Kristina, is Mrs. Karina Molina still here?" Jake asks

"Yes...certainly." The chief caregiver nodded. "She is currently recovering from her stroke and being tendered by our caregivers. Right now, she is free from any therapy or treatment so you could visit her. If you want, I could guide you to her..."

Everybody is prepared to see my mother...that Jake, Kyle and I has been looking for so many years. By the way, I still have that beef pares that we make earlier for Jake...this time...sigh...huh?

"Flonne...you could have it." Lexo gives to me the food container that has beef pares and garlic fried rice with it.

"Huh? Wha-why did you give this to me? You will come with us to see our mother, remember?"

"Well...Danica, Claire, Alex and I have been talking about this last night...and we decided that we should give you some private time with her." Azmina speaks out for him. "You haven't seen your mother for years so...we shouldn't spoil this moment for you, okay?"

I smiled...when I heard this response...their action was very considerate for me but...

"Hehehe! That's so nice of you, guys but...it's not all about me and my family...it's about yours too, especially Lexi."  Then I returned the food container back to my boyfriend. "You guys are the reason why you brought me here...so you must be with us..."

My friends smiled back at me...and finally agreed to join with us.

"Alice...it's time...let's go."

"Yes, Kyle."

Everybody follows Kristina, the chief caregiver into the nursing home. We passed through several doors and rooms...containing different stories...from the people who are able to see their families, even for awhile...to ones who are seems to be neglected by time...and waiting for death to come to them...I wonder what will my mom's story will be...even we can visit her...will she be able to remember us...or she will not...and wait for her...umm...death sentence.