14: What Is Love

The dinner was extremely and annoyingly awkward. I guess that Kai's parents knew me and Yihyun don't get along very well since they were silently watching the two of us having a staring competition, death-glaring each other down. I sat next to Mr. Kim while Yihyun sat in front of me next to Kai. As usual, Mr. Kim seated at the end of the table.

"Yihyun, how are your parents?" Mr. Kim suddenly asked while a smile spread across his face. His dark hair and few gray hair strands but that was the charming part of him.

She abruptly stopped looking at me and turned her head to him, instantly changing her devilish appearance to angelic.

“They are fine Mr. Kim! They’ve been wondering where you’ve been lately since you and Mrs. Kim don’t come over anymore,” she said with an annoying tone. Since their parents know each other, I guessed Kai and Yihyun have known each other since they were kids.

“We’ve been busy,” Mrs. Kim said coldly while she focused on her food. The way she responded surprised me since she usually is happy and cheerful but she was acting like Kai at the moment. I couldn't help but to think that I knew now where he got that from.

“Oh,” Yihyun said a little bit disappointed. I smirked before thinking that Mrs. Kim hit the bullseye on this one. I tried to keep my laughter away but ended up doing small weird noises.

Kai noticed me and stared at me with his usual cold and intense eyes. He looked so serene yet so scary that it made me gulp down a little saliva since I forgot to do so. I quickly stopped smiling and stared back with dead eyes and after a few seconds, I looked away since it was getting creepy.

I turned my head away, only to see Yihyun staring at me too. Apparently she noticed me and Kai trading looks that agitated her, making me more amused. She furrowed her eyebrows and I rolled my eyes as a response and ate something from my plate.

Bitch. 

After a whole meal consisting three courses, mrs. Kim suddenly spoke; “Well Yihyun, it’s getting pretty late isn’t it?” she sounded with a bratty attitude, stealthily kicking her out.

Yihyun looked confused and looked over to Kai, waiting for some kind of response from him or that he would insist on her staying. It made me grin evilly by watching the atmosphere turn awkward.

Kai didn’t even look at her though because he was busy finishing his food. Yihyun's frown deepened before she sighed.

“Yes, maybe I should get home now. It’s getting late,” she said, feeling completely unwelcomedIf I didn’t know what kind of person she really is, I would’ve thought she is a nice person considering how she acts towards Kai and his parents.

Mr. Kim looked disappointed and said something about staying longer and stuff while Mrs. Kim just agreed with Yihyun and finished her food without sparing Yihyun another look.

I excused myself from the table and went to the living room and turned on the TV after getting myself comfortable.

I heard Kai’s dad in the background, saying to Kai to walk Yihyun home. Apparently she lives in this neighborhood too. Kai surprisingly agreed and took her home which made me roll my eyes. She acted like a damsel-in-distress, it bugged me.

-

I was watching a cheesy sitcom all alone in the living room while the bright color casted different colors in the dark room. The lights were turned off and no one besides me was on the first floor. The maids were occupied with something upstairs and Mr. and Mrs. Kim were in their bedroom already. I was sitting on the couch comfortably with glasses on and eating candy when I heard the front creak door open. I supposed it was Kai since he was the last person going out.