38: Challenge

Sam's POV.

Apparently, Kai’s grandmother tagged along from China to Korea. I noticed that she was quite short and her hair was cut short, straight and a little grey from aging. She had fair skin and even though she was old, she has aged prettily. 

She sat in the living room on one of the couches while I sat on another one. She was staring at me with suspicious eyes without saying anything. It was creeping me out but I didn’t say anything and just looked around while taking glances at her now and then, checking if she was still death glaring me. I would clear my throat to break the tension but it was no use.

Mrs. Kim wasn’t at home yet and I prayed that she would come home soon. Kai was upstairs, telling the maids to clear the guest room to make room for her. That means that I was getting kicked out for a while. I would either occupy the living room or I would share room with Kai like back in the days. I got chills just by thinking of it.

The front door suddenly flung open and Mrs. Kim’s voice was heard. She sang a happy song as usual and I could hear her footsteps coming closer and closer towards the living room. She smiled at me before saying hi but suddenly, her smile disappeared. She locked eyes with Kai’s grandmother who decided to turn around to look at the person walking in. Mrs. Kim froze on the spot and I could see her swallowing hard before bowing down. Kai’s grandmother didn’t even acknowledge her presence before she looked away and ignored her.

Mrs. Kim looked at me with wide eyes before calling me over with her hands. I got confused but she mouthed for me to hurry and I quickly got up and bowed to Kai’s grandmother before I scurried over to Mrs. Kim. She held my arm before dragging me upstairs. She shoved me into the master bedroom and shooed out the maids who were cleaning.

She looked around before closing the door and quickly walked over to me. She started grabbing my arms, searching for any damage on my body with worried eyes. I stared at her with connected eyebrows.

“Are you hurt? Did she hit you?” she asked in panic. My nose crinkled before I shook my head and Mrs. Kim sighed out in relief.

“Thank God! She can be really abusive!”

I looked at her strangely and she took it as a sign to continue.

“I’m going to tell you a story no one really knows about except for me, her and my husband,” she said with a mysterious voice.  

“My husband’s mother is very strict! She was against me and her son dating. She doesn’t like me because my family was already rich.”

I nodded my head while listening to her. Mrs. Kim was wealthier than Mr. Kim?!

“Her trusting issues got even worse when one day – she accidently walked in when me and my husband were, you know…” she continued while looking down in embarrassment. Her cheeks went red and that’s when it hit me.

I widened my eyes before choking on my spit and my face flushed red. I coughed a few times before motioning for her to continue.

“And we weren’t married yet so ever since then she has hated me! She never gave us her blessings when we became husband and wife.. I was afraid she would hate Jongin but fortunately she has favored him ever since she laid eyes on him, which I am happy about. But me and her can’t seem to get along very well..”

I blinked a few times rapidly before clearing my throat. That disturbing image of Mr. and Mrs. Kim almost doing it got stuck in my brain and I shook my head slightly, trying to get rid of it.

“Well she has to forget it sometime, right?” I said encouragingly and forced a smile.

Mrs. Kim scowled at me before looking suspiciously and then shaking her head.