37: Grandmother

Kai’s POV.

We were practicing on how talk in front of cameras and how to answer tricky questions with one of our trainers. Our CEO Lee Soo Man wanted us to be familiar in an environment where cameras literally surrounded you and followed you around. We still needed a bit of work with the talking part because we became awkward and nervous whenever a camera was present. Our trainer made us work harder because tomorrow, we are going to have our first interview.

After the talking part, we went to perfect our dancing in the training room.

After two hours of dancing, the sun was starting to settle and we decided to call it a day. We sat on the floor, drinking from our water bottles while trying to catch our breaths. Nowadays we have to at least practice 2 hours per day so we wouldn’t forget the dance moves and each time, we learnt to do it better.

Xiumin and Tao sat next to me while the rest went out to get some fresh air. It was calm and only heavy breathing could be heard. Our forehead shone from sweat which was a sign of hard work. The youngest one decided to break the silence out of curiosity.

“How’s your mother?” he asked while looking at me. I glanced at him before looking in the air.

“Fine.”

“Your father?”

“Fine,” I said flatly, again.

He suddenly smiled before looking down and then up again with a look on his face. I scowled before scoffing. “I know you’re wondering about Sam, she’s fine too.” Tao grinned and Xiumin smiled while gulping down water. He wiped his mouth with his arm before putting the water bottle down on the floor and stretching his legs.

“How are you two anyways?” he asked and looked at me. I rubbed the back of my head and started thinking about her. It has been a few days since we spoke and I missed bullying her already.

“We still haven’t killed each other yet so fine, I guess,” I joked and smirked. Xiumin rolled his eyes and shook his head in disbelief. “I sang her to sleep the other day,” I continued while looking at the shiny floor. I smiled to myself while thinking of it. That day, we both fell asleep on the couch together but one of the maids woke me up because she remembered that I had a flight to China in a few hours. So I carefully carried Sam upstairs and let her sleep in the guest room in peace. 

After I carefully laid her down on the bed, I didn’t even bother to put the blanket over her since she hates heat and she was wearing thick clothes anyways so she wouldn’t get cold. I took off her glasses and put it on the small table next to the bed before squatting down next to her. Unlike when she is awake, she looked peaceful and nice, for once. I smiled when I saw she was slightly pouting in her sleep so I caressed her hair before hovering over to give her a chaste kiss on her forehead.

Xiumin stared at me with an open mouth while Tao who was drinking accidently spit out a little bit before wiping it with his arm sleeve.

“You what?” they both said, surprised. I just shrugged without looking at them.

“I sang her to sleep,” I said casually and played with my water bottle. “Christina Perri’s song ‘Distance.’”

Xiumin scowled; “Just admit that you like her already.” And then he gave me a wink before he looked over at Tao who was still shocked from the surprise.

I smirked before chuckling; “Well I haven’t exactly been denying it. I’ve already confessed to her.”

Xiumin laughed out loud and clapped in ecstasy while giving me a high five. Tao literally dropped his jaw this time and his eyes was as round as they could get. He quickly got up and ran to the door which startled both me and Xiumin so we followed him with our eyes with arched eyebrows.