7: Enemy

I was rushing and quickly ran to the bus stop in hopes that I would catch the bus that was arriving soon. Mrs. Kim wanted one of their personal drivers to drive me to school, but I didn't want to be a bother and I would feel very uncomfortable anyway by feeling so pampered. Plus, I didn’t want to give the students in my school a rich image of myself since I was obviously not.

-

Twenty minutes later, I arrived at the small but rich little school. Everyone was wearing regular clothes since it was summer school so uniforms were not needed making me blend in immediately. I was thankful for that because I was afraid I was going to stick out like a sore thumb among these students.

I ran to, what I assumed, the principle's office and I grinned when I was right. He gave me my schedule and I ran my eyes over it before rolling my eyes for all the stupid subjects.

I searched for my classroom and easily found it thanks to some janitor that was nice enough to show me where it was. When I was about to walk in, the bell rang, signaling that it was lunchtime and I frowned when I realized I just missed my first two classes. Everyone in my class stood up and went out without noticing me, knocking my shoulder with theirs now and then making me frown from their ignorant behaviour.

Two girls, who were obviously friends, were about to walk out when their eyes locked on me. One of them had long light brown hair and a baby pink outfit, making her look younger than what she really is. She looked giddy and bubbly and seemed to be clumsy and excited all the time. The other one had short dark hair and big round glasses. She also looked clumsy but she seemed to be a person who wouldn’t want to be noticed or gain a lot of attention. She seemed shy and I couldn't help but to wonder how these two could possibly be friends since they obviously were from two different worlds.

They came over to me because they noticed I was alone and I mentally cursed to myself.

I quickly got to know them since they started talking to me and started introducing themselves. The first girl is named Hyeri and the other girl is named Minji. They reminded me of Hana somehow but not really at the same time.

I decided to be nice to them since they were bearable and I didn't really have friends around here so why the hell no.

“We should all eat together, what do you think Sam?” Hyeri asked before batting her eyelashes.

I cleared my throat before answering; “Sure, I’m really hungry,” I said honestly and I hoped they wouldn't be one of those girls that barely eat anything because I couldn't stand those.

The three of us walked together to the cafeteria while chatting. Well, they did most of the time. I would only answer when they asked me something.

-

The cafeteria was neither big nor small. The roof was high and it had big windows letting sunshine in, making the whole room light up beautifully and warmly. The dining tables were not ordinary since it was benches attached to the table, so I couldn’t move the chairs around if I wanted to. Apparently they were serving mashed potatoes today and something uninteresting with it and I frowned a little because I expected something more.

There were many rows of tables in here, but Hyeri decided to sit in a corner near the window, maybe because she was avoiding the crowds as well. I could see the whole cafeteria from this spot but I chose to sit on the bench in front of Hyeri and Minji so my back was facing the whole cafeteria, purposely trying to block everyone else out.

-

I was eating my food, completely uninterested in what they were talking about until I suddenly heard my name being called.