ten

I walked upstairs where my mom was in her room and walked up to her. I'm beyond confused with this random guy around here, she never told us about there being a man in her life.

"Mom..." I said mysteriously. She then turned around with a smile.

"What's up sweetie?" She asked happily. My mom was always happy, you could never really find her upset unless it was something that really affected her.

"Why is there a random guy in our living room?" I asked weirded out. She laughed and walked towards me, probably amused by my confused state.

"I was actually waiting until you got home so I could tell you that." She smiled. "Let's go downstairs and I'll explain." She said leading us downstairs. As we walked out of her room and in the hallway I looked over at her weirdly.

"You're freaking me out mom, somethings up." I told her as we walked down the large staircase.

"Cora.." She laughed slightly. "Calm down." She said as we hopped off the steps and into the living room. I took a seat on the black leather love seat and brought me knee's in.

"So mom...Care to explain?" I said.

"Alright kids, I don't really know where to start..." She said nervously. Where was the excited and happy mom just a second ago? "This is Jack Alexander." She said.

"And who is Jack Alexander?" My brother asked.

"Alright, so you know how you guys don't technically have a father?" She said.

"Don't say it mom...Don't say it." I told her with my eyes closed.

"Jack is your biological father kids." She said. I looked up at her gobsmacked as to why the hell he was in our house. Seriously, after over 17 years he is now here? What happened to when Nate was born? When I was born? When Molly was born? Why wasn't he there then? Oh yeah, because sperm donors aren't supposed to take part of the kids lives.

"Why is here then?" I asked her hoarsely.

"Because Cora, we are engaged." She said. I let out a huge laugh making them all confused, except Nate. He knew.

"Aren't sperm donors supposed to come and go? They are there to do one thing, and that is give sperm. Not become our father." I told her.

"Cor-" She started but Nate cut her off.

"Mom, what about us? Why didn't you tell us? We are such a close family and you've been with this guy for who knows how long!" He said sadly. "Is that why I had to watch Molly this weekend? So you could go stay with this random guy?"

"He is not a random guy Nathaniel, he is your father." She said. How many years has it been since she has called Nate by his full name? That's just cold.

"No mom, a father is someone who is there for you as that figure. They may not be biological sometimes, but they've filled that role better than the real father." I told her. "I mean we haven't had that guy in our life, but he is not our "father" mom, he is a random guy that you've been keeping a secret from us for who knows how long."

"Coraleigh, sometimes I do keep things from you kids, but it's not bad. I have my own secrets I keep, just like you guys do." She said. "There's a lot of things you and Nathaniel tell each other that you never tell me. You told me nothing about Magcon!"

"Stop calling us by our full names mom." I gritted through my teeth.

"I call you what I want to Cora." She said.