thirty eight

I sat in the chair in Nate's room lazily as I watched him. I have been here for an entire week and I have barely moved at all, I was not planning on moving either. He hasn't woken up yet and he is still on life support and the doctors say they don't know how much longer he will last.

I just can't really accept it. Nate is only seventeen and he has so much ahead of him. He has a scholarship for playing football at one of the best universities in the United States. He is so smart and full of life and I just-He has so so much planned for himself and I can't believe that might be taken away from him. I mean, why can't he recover like Taylor did? Taylor is out of the hospital and gaining his memory back. He's gotten better and Nate has gotten worse. I just refuse to actually let it sink in that I may lose Nate.

I saw a figure come through the doorway and I looked up further to see who it was.

"I brought you some food. Has he made any improvements?" He asked.

"No, it's just getting worse. And, thank you but I'm just not hungry." I told him handing the food back.

"Babe, you have to eat, you don't want to starve yourself do you?" He said. He was right, but I didn't have any appetite.

"I'll eat later." I told him setting it on the counter.

"I'm getting worried about you Cora, you've been here all week and you haven't eaten or showered or done anything at all. I know it's hard with Nate being the way he is, but you have to keep yourself alive too." Nash said hugging me gently.

"I don't want to go home though, what if I miss something? I've already missed an entire month for my own selfish reasons." I told him.

"Don't blame yourself for anything, you aren't selfish. Nate wanted you to go, he told me every day how proud he was of you and how happy he was that you were living out your dreams. He wanted this for you, just like he wants you to not put blame on yourself and be happy." He told me caressing my hair gently.

"I just want him to be okay Nash." I cried in to his chest. He just held me tighter until I calmed myself down. I was a mess, and I know for a fact that Nash has never seen me like this before. It really was a test of our relationship. If he is there for me and helps me through this then it proves I should be with him, if he wasn't then it shows he's not right for me. Luckily, he's proving he is.

Nash and I spent the next few hours watching TV and cuddling on the little chair as we discussed memories we had with Nate, even though Nate wasn't in Nash's life for a year, he was best friends with Nash and they hung out a lot when I wasn't around too.

"I remember one time when I was ten and he was twelve. We lived right across the street from this huge pond and we always played down there and hung out with each other there. Molly some times came down, but it was more of our thing you know? Well, we decided it'd be a smart idea to go swim in that pond even though we were told not to, for whatever reason we didn't know. He told me that he keep feeling like something was crawling on him and sucking on his skin so I told him to get out and check. I watched him as he sat on the sand and looked in between his toes to see a leech in between each one. We both freaked out for a solid five minutes before we took them off. It was hilarious, he almost passed out but luckily, he didn't." I told him.

"Or the one time where it was my first homecoming dance and he and I were dress shopping because I didn't have anyone else to take me. I insisted that he would try on a dress too and he actually ended up doing it. It was one of our best memories and it was hilarious watching everybody's reactions too. Or, the time where I died my hair blonde and he almost ended up making it green." I smiled sadly.