Chapter Fourteen

Thank you so much to those of you who've voted and offered kind words in regards to Cowgirl Up and/or Cowgirl Up 2.
Your kind words have literally melted my heart ❤️

-&- Bailey -&-

Walking down the Main Street, a bag of groceries in my hand, my hand bag slung over the crook of my right arm and my keys dangling in my right hand, I squinted my eyes against the rare glare of Winter sunshine ricocheting off the bitumen road which was slick with rainwater.
Inside my belly, my baby kicked hard.
Just a few days ago I'd learned my baby was going to be a girl.
A girl who's Daddy no longer wanted her.
The thick burning was back in my throat.
"Oh they make the best couple!"
The gushes of nearby townsfolk momentarily dragged me from my depressive thoughts
Who are they on about n-?
I stopped in my tracks.
Barely a dozen feet in front of me, a blonde had her arms draped around an entirely familiar set of broad shoulders.
The arm's connected to those broad shoulders, wound around the blonde's waist.
A waist which you could now see had the distinct inflation of an early baby bump.
The all too familiar white rough rider with the permanent ink of Rodeo riders' signatures, carefully shadowed a tanned face that was etched into my brain and my heart forevermore.
A smile flittered on his lips before those lips captured the puckered ones of the blonde who was wrapped up in his arms.
"Daddy! Mummy!"
I flinched as a small boy burst out from the crowd, his dark hair and deep blue-green eyes entirely familiar.
"I got this for my baby bruvva!"
Tameron exclaimed, holding up a blue teddy bear.
Several big, fat, hot tear's welled in my eyes and the worst thing was, I didn't have a free hand to try to wipe them away.
"That's sweet baby."
Rikki pulled her adoring gaze from Blayze's face and smiled down at Tameron.
"The baby could also be a girl though."
Tameron turned his attention from the apparently 'boring' adult conversation.
"Bayey!"
The little boy exclaimed, his eyes suddenly on me.
Shit!
I felt my heart crack as the tiny kid hit a run, aiming my way.
Blayze and Rikki's head's both turned in the direction their kid had gone.
My direction.
Blayze muttered something I couldn't hear to Rikki and she frowned, but released him.
With every step he took in my direction, my broken heart shattered further.
"We need to talk."
Blayze said, placing a large hand onto Tameron's small shoulder.
"Who me?"
His son questioned, squinting way up to his Dad's face.
"No, Me and Bailey."
Blayze answered, urging Tameron back the way he'd came from.
"Go to the car with your Mum Tameron."
Tameron sighed loudly in frustration, but headed towards his waiting Mum nonetheless.
My heart was in my throat as I waited on what Blayze wanted to say.
He'd quit working at our farm.
But apparently they didn't move far, because he's right in front of me now.
And Tameron's wearing the school uniform.
Tear's burned my throat like acid as the seconds ticked by.
"How's our kid doin?"
Blayze finally, quietly asked.
"Good."
I whispered, unable to handle anything more and certainly avoiding eye contact.
"I need the key's to the Ute."
Blayze abruptly stated, as if he couldn't stand to hang around and make small talk with me.
With little choice left, I snapped my gaze up to look at his face.
He was the same old Blayze, with the same tanned skin, the same angled jaw, the same slightly crooked nose and the same small scar above his right eyebrow.
But he wasn't the same.
Because months ago he'd promised me he'd never be with Rikki.
"Wh-what Ute?"
I stammered.
Why would he think he can have the keys to one of our car's when he's no longer helping to run our property?
"The one you're driving that i brought."
I felt sucker punched, even though I knew he hadn't thrown a fist.
He wants my birthday present car?
"M-my car?"
I stammered, barely able to believe I'd heard right.
"It's my car."
He stated, his expression carefully blank.
"And I'm giving it to Rikki."
Noooooooo!
I snapped my eyes open, to find myself staring at the dark walls of Hayley's purple bedroom.
Man oh man.
My heart was pounding in my chest and I was almost perched on the edge of the mattress, indicating I'd been restless in my sleep.
Of course I'd be restless with a nightmare like that!