Chapter Thirty Eight

Thank you so much @Jessie160802, ReneSolomon
RachelBaker976 and Kayla-Jan for your votes on Chapter Thirty Seven! You guys are what keeps me motivated 💚PalominoDreamtime💚

Noah still didn't come to school on Thursday.
But at least this time she sent both Hayley and I a text to say she wasn't up to coming in.
Hayley waved me off at lunch time, insisting I go home and get some rest.
"I look that amazing do I?"
I asked with a wry laugh.
Last night I'd fallen asleep at around 7:30.
Out on the couch mind you.
One minute I was watching Home And Away (much to Blayze and Heath's delight) and the next thing I knew, my alarm was going off this morning.
Apparently Blayze carried me to bed regardless of his ribs and puncture wound.
"You look great."
Hayley promised.
"But I still think you should get some rest. Besides, you won't be in school tomorrow."
She offered me a brave smile.
This was true.
I was only required to attend school until lunch time from Monday through to Thursday this term.
Hayley still had to attend for the full day all five days.
"Okay."
I gave in, turning to hug my best friend.
"Enjoy the rest of your day."
"You too."
Hayley told me, hugging me back.

As I cruised slowly down the Main Street, my music playing softly in the background, I contemplated stopping somewhere to grab a snack and a drink.
I really shouldn't waste the money.
But I felt hungry.
Everybody was saying to eat when Baby is hungry.
A slightly familiar black Ute was parked up out the front of Bentley's Cafe.
Codie's car.
I'd sent him a message last night, after seeing Noah.
Just to tell him how sorry I was and that we were all here for both he and Noah.
His reply (that I'd received this morning mind you) flashed in my mind.
Thanks Bails 👌 just keep an eye on Noah. Please.
My thoughts travelled to Blayze and the mess he'd gotten himself into after his accident.
We both already love our growing baby.
What would it do to us if something happened to the little person?
Pressing my lips together, I flicked my indicator on and pulled off to the side of the road
I've checked in with Noah and let her know we're here for her.
It's time to do the same for Codie.
He is one of Blayze's closest friends after all.
I turned my car off, gathered my phone and keys and climbed out of my car, shrugging my jacket on as I walked towards our town's favourite cafe.

Thankfully the eatery was only partially occupied when I stepped through the door, the bells jangling overhead to signal my arrival.
There was a raven haired girl behind the counter, fiddling around with a coffee machine, the aroma of coffee beans strong in the air.
Another raven haired waitress was across the Diner floor, serving a young couple at a table.
The ends of her hair were dipped vibrant blue.
Cool.
She went to come my way, noticing my arrival, but Georgia suddenly appeared, wiping her hands off on a tea towel and waved her off.
I scanned the Diner floor, but didn't spot Codie's familiar face anywhere among the tables.
Hmm...
"Hey honey."
Georgia's warm voice greeted.
I turned to Georgia and attempted to offer her a smile.
I'm sure she probably knows by now about the fate of her expected grandson or granddaughter.
Georgia gave me a small, saddened smile and pulled me into a hug.
"Can I get ya a table or something to eat?"
Codie's Mum offered.
"I was actually just wondering if Codie's in."
I explained, taking a step back.
"I saw his car out front..."
Georgia nodded her head.
"He's out back."
"Is he... up for a visit?"
I suddenly felt a little unsure about what I was doing.
What if like Noah, Codie really just wanted to be left alone?
He probably wouldn't have come to his Mum's Diner if he wanted to be alone that badly.
The sensible voice in my head replied.
"He's not all that chatty. But I don't reckon he'll bite your head off."
Georgia smiled softly and stepped aside to let me through.
"I'll bring ya out a cuppa if ya like?"
She offered.
I couldn't help but smile.
"Tea would be great. Thanks."
Georgia nodded and headed around the counter.
She exchanged a few words with the raven haired woman who was making coffee's and I made my way to the back door, feeling eyes on my back.